Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

ESL - got this mail today

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:52 PM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter is in Kindergarten.

Received this mail today : Student will receive instruction in the general education classromm, with support from English as a second language ESL or bilingual resource teacher BRT in Literacy and Math

Does any one been in this suitation? What does it mean? Will this slow her studies?

During summer when we tested her we got 85% above average level in english and for math she is doing 2nd grade level.

I am scared. Should i have to talk to teacher about this. Please advice.

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paulswifey11
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Is your dd bilingual
mickstinator
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:09 PM
I assume she's bilingual. I would call the teacher tomorrow, but it might be purely because English is her second language and not related to her proficiency. Definitely worth getting more info on!
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Do you speak an language other than English at home?

When school started you filled out a home language survey. If you indicated another language is spoken in your home your child may be eligible for services even if she's not bilingual. 

Just ask the teacher what it's about. 

It's not common for bilingual students to excel in most areas but still have a difficult time with vocabulary and comprehension. ESL programs often focus on those areas. 

cjsbmom
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM

ESL means English as a Second Language. It's only given to students whose primary language isn't English to help them better learn English so they can do well in all their classes. I'm assuming English is not your first language? 

And to answer your other question, no, it won't slow her down or interfere with her other classes. If she needs to assistance, it will actually help her. Don't be afraid of it. 

soymujer
by Mikki on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

My oldest son received it when he was in 3rd grade to help build up his vocabulary.  His first language was Spanish but he was bilingual and by then he was only speaking in English.

Quoting cjsbmom:

ESL means English as a Second Language. It's only given to students whose primary language isn't English to help them better learn English so they can do well in all their classes. I'm assuming English is not your first language? 

And to answer your other question, no, it won't slow her down or interfere with her other classes. If she needs to assistance, it will actually help her. Don't be afraid of it. 

family in the van   Mom of four

julesjerry
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Spoke to her teacher yesterday. She was not aware of it, that they send this for my daughter. She think it is not necessary to my daughter. Thank you all.

momofjkkc
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM
When my step daughter was in 4th grade her tacher tried to put her in ESL. She didn't go though. I guess the situatoon was she had issues when reading outloud and the teacher though she needed help with her English. Dh is Mexican and BM is Guatemalan. Both speak spanish fluently but not in the home and not to the kids. My stepdaughter didn't speak spanish until she was in high school.
They took the letter to the principal and said her language skills are not an issue, it's her reading.
meam4444
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I am happy you were able to touch base with the teacher about this. 

Quoting julesjerry:

Spoke to her teacher yesterday. She was not aware of it, that they send this for my daughter. She think it is not necessary to my daughter. Thank you all.

corrinacs
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM

If you aren't sure why you are getting this, talk to the teacher.  Its quite possible there was a mistake of some sort.  If you don't feel she needs these services, talk to the teacher about her findings.

corrinacs
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I figured as much.  :)

Quoting julesjerry:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN