Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Child Safety Challenge Day 1: Helmet & Bike Safety

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM
  • 81 Replies

Welcome to Day 1 of the Child Safety Challenge!

Do your kids enjoy riding a bike?

Do they wear a helmet at all times?

Share a picture of your kids and their bikes!

Riding a bike is fun, but accidents can happen. Every year approximately 300,000 kids are seen in hospital emergency rooms for bike injuries.

The best way to prevent a possible head/brain injury is to wear a bike helmet.
Make sure your child's helmet is properly fitted and meets the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission's standards.

Here is a video on how to properly fit a bike helmet.

Just as important as helmet safety is bike safety.
Here are some important tips for safe bike riding.

• Make sure your childs bike is the right size for them and NOT one they can 'grow' in to.
  • Long and loose clothing can get caught in the spokes and chain. Make sure clothing is appropriate for bike riding.
  • Riding on the sidewalk, at parks and bike paths/trails is safest. If your child rides on the street, make sure they stay on the far right side, follow all traffic signs, use appropriate hand signals and ride with the flow of traffic, not against it.
  • Make sure the brakes on your childs bike work properly.
  • Make sure your childs bike has reflectors. If they are riding at dawn, dusk or in the evening, have them wear retro-reactive accessories and clothing so that motorists will see them.

One member who signs up for our Child Safety Challenge and replies to all 5 of the daily posts will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Join Us For Our Child Safety Challenge & WIN a $25 Gift Card!

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

My kids ride almost every day and no they don't wear helmets.  When they were first learning, around age three, they did, but as they have gotten older it's not a battle that I will engage in.  There's something kind of odd about the someone riding a beach cruiser with a helmet.  LOL 

soymujer
by Mikki on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this

My youngest loves to ride his.  I do admit, I allow him to ride his bike without a helmet.  I did make sure he was wearing it when he was learning to ride it.  I kind of figure we grew up riding bikes without helmets and survived.

family in the van   Mom of four

Saharra
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM
My kids do wear helmets EVERY time they get on their bikes. We started early so it isn't ever a battle. They cry if they can't find their helmets because they know they can't ride. (4 and 6). But we have a very long, blind driveway. The area where the kids can ride is just after a corner coming up the driveway and we have a camp. There's people going in and out constantly. So, they MUST wear helmets. I do make them stay on the basketball court when I know people will be going through though.
kdgord
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Mine wear helmets everyone they ride except for one in awhile while on the grass in our front yard. They got to pick out their own helmets and it isn't ever a fight to get them to wear them. They aren't allowed to ride anywhere but the sidewalk and our yard and never without supervision.
RhondaJ
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM

My kids love riding their bikes.  We go on family bike rides usually on base and helmets are required. 

othermom
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM

My kids don't ride often, but always wear their helmets. 

alf2651
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM

DD doesn't have a bike, unfortunately. We live on a very curvy and dangerous road and our yard is very steep, so my husband and I didn't feel it would be safe for DD to have a bike. However, if and when she finally gets one, she will have to wear a helmet.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

jamianne
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM

My kids wear helmets every time they want to ride their scooters or bikes.  We started when ds got his first scooter, at about three years old and dh wears a helmet when he rides his bike to work.  So as far as they're concerned, wearing a helmet is just part of riding.  It's never been an issue.

happymommy1105
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM

my son loves riding his bike! 

He wear his helmet! The amazing people at specialized worked wonders and hooked us up with a great helmet and bike!!!

TatyBear
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM
They wear them always
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)