Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Advice Needed: Do my child have to attend pre k

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:48 AM
  • 55 Replies
Do my child have to attend pre k
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pattya925
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Nope, it is not required though many kiddos enjoy it and it gets them used to a classroom structure/set-up if they have not had previous experience.  

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM
3 moms liked this

No, but kids who don't go to preschool or a structured environment prior to kindergarten are in for a rude awakening.  If I had a dollar for every mom on here in September who complains that their young child is having difficulties adjusting to kindergarten and they didn't attend preK, I would be retiring sooner.  Kindergarten is what first and second grades USED to be.  PreK is what most of us remember as kindergarten.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I'm not a teacher but seeing kindergarteners or 1st graders cry because they miss their mom is both heart breaking and distracting to the kids who are ready to learn.

It's not for socializing but to learn how to share the teacher's time and attention, how to work in a group setting, learning how to learn...so much more than play and social time (though that's important too).

Quoting mjande4:

No, but kids who don't go to preschool or a structured environment prior to kindergarten are in for a rude awakening.  If I had a dollar for every mom on here in September who complains that their young child is having difficulties adjusting to kindergarten and they didn't attend preK, I would be retiring sooner.  Kindergarten is what first and second grades USED to be.  PreK is what most of us remember as kindergarten.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsary
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:31 AM
No. Kinder isn't required either.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Why wouldn't you want your child to go to pre-k?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM
My two that didnt do pre-k are doing as well as my one that did. However, I basically did pre-k at home.

Of the two that didnt do pre-k, kid two went into kinder with no adjustment issues.
Kid three never went to public school. We started hlmeschooling.
soymujer
by Mikki on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I would check into your district before making a decision.  My daughter didn't go to pre school and when I enrolled her in kindergarten, she had to go summer school because she didn't.

family in the van   Mom of four

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Now that is odd! In Texas students are only required to start 1st grade. Kinder and pre k are optional.

Quoting soymujer:

I would check into your district before making a decision.  My daughter didn't go to pre school and when I enrolled her in kindergarten, she had to go summer school because she didn't.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Not here but I would never skip it
bebe_ju-rah
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
In FL kinder (full time) is required. Prek isn't required but part time is free

Quoting mrsary:

Now that is odd! In Texas students are only required to start 1st grade. Kinder and pre k are optional.

Quoting soymujer:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)