Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Veteran's Day and school

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM
  • 27 Replies

Poll

Question: Do your schools close for Veteran's Day? What kind of town are you in?

Options:

Our schools are closed, we are a military town

Our schools are open, we are a military town

Our schools are closed, we are not a military town

Our schools are open, we are not a military town

Other (explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 53

View Results

A couple of my friends on Facebook were surprised that my son had school today. I tried to find stats on different states, but either there is not enough information or my Googling skills just suck. I found this link, which states:

Q. Why do some schools close and others remain in session on Veterans Day?

A. Because there is no legal requirement that schools close on Veterans Day, individual states or school districts are free to establish their own policies on school closings. Most schools that do not close for Veterans Day schedule assemblies or other activities to honor America's veterans on Veterans Day and throughout the week that includes Veterans Day.

http://www1.va.gov/opa/vetsday/vetday_faq.asp

My theory is that it's mostly military towns (those with a military base nearby) that are closed. What do you think?

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I grew up in non military towns (no bases in the towns) and we were closed on veterans day.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM
My boys have school today, I have to work. I don't know what you mean by "military town" and "none military town" and my parents are retired from the Air Force. We always lived on base. There are Air Force and Army bases in my state but not our town.
caligirl7613
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM
our kids school is closed today, and they had a half day friday. we live near a huge military base. like within 10 minutes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SahmTam
by Tammy on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Our school is open- we are not in a military town.

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I mean a town that is a military base, or is near a military base.

Quoting diaperstodating:

My boys have school today, I have to work. I don't know what you mean by "military town" and "none military town" and my parents are retired from the Air Force. We always lived on base. There are Air Force and Army bases in my state but not our town.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Where I teach and my son attends, it varies from year to year. This year we are in school. 

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM
She means like Killeen is to Ft Hood, like Clarksville is to FT Campbell, like Petersburg is to FT Lee... idk you were raised by military parents! Cool!

Quoting diaperstodating:

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM
We live on post, kids are off today.
sarah824
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:27 PM

We are far from a military town and we don't have school today. Until recently I thought every school was closed for Veteran's Day. Just like banks and the post office.

jaytee
by Jen on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Our school are open. There's a military base 25 minutes away. This is the first year that my son had to go to school on his birthday. He's 12 today :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)