Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How old is still too young?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM
  • 38 Replies

I have a ten year old son that is VERY mature for his age. Unfortunately he had to grow up quicker than he should have. I know when I need to run outside to the neighbors house, I can leave him with his younger siblings without a worry in the world. While I haven't, I have full confidence in him that if I needed to run to the grocery store down the road a few miles, he would hold down the fort.

Today I was gonna let him go to the store right across the trailer court where we live. He would have to cross a main road, which I am not thrilled about, but he has done it before so it doesn't bother me too too much. He took my cell phone and called me soon as he made it out of the drive way on his way to the store. My boyfriend got really upset with me because I was sending him alone. So I ended up going to get him in the car and taking him myself.

I have sent him to the store before and he did great, did everything he was supposed to do, gone straight there and straight back. Does anyone else think this isn't a good idea or is he old enough to be able to start doing stuff like this for me?

Awesome Mamafamily car

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma-of-three3
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM
If he's mature for his age, I'd let him. My 11 year old dd is mature for her age too and I'd let her if she wanted to.
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that he's more than old enough to walk that far alone. I was roaming for miles at that age on my bike and on foot. Actually, that started even younger than 10 but I think that 10 is a good age for that responsibility.

NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't let my until he was 13 or so. kids get picked up all the time.
valrubio
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I have a 10 year old who is very mature but I would never leave her alone or alone with siblings and I would not let her walk to any stores without me.

Lil_Wolf
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Depends on the kids, what you & your dh agree upon, distance from home, & neighborhood. I used to go get dinner from a couple of takeout places when I was about your kid's age & I had to cross a busy road as well. I would talk to dh & make sure y'all are on the same parenting page. Makes it easier to handle things instead of the "but so & so lets me" that is bound to come.

littleleesmom
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM

He is just crossing the street? I can say that i would let him but i dont have a ten year old so i am not sure.

hemanclub
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Ok this may sound weird but how big is your kid.  My 9 year old is skinny and light and could be grabbed easily.  However my 11 year old is 125lbs so he would not be so easy.  

Bonnie2HisCLYDE
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

I wouldn't let my until he was 13 or so. kids get picked up all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyDiva19
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM
My ds is 8 but at 10 I would never let him walk to the store by himself. He would have to be about 14 or 15 before that would happen.
Jellybean1123
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM

It depends on the child. We leave my 11 y/o home by himself if we won't be gone too long and we let him walk a few blocks to the park or a friends house on his own. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN