Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Advice Needed: i have a 6 year old in 1st grade who...

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM
  • 17 Replies

i have a 6 year old in 1st grade who is failing horribly to due to his adhd. he's hyper, impulsive and distracted. he hardly sits in class, takes other students things, sings, hums, u name it. he is not on medication but i am making the decision this week to medicate or not. i am afraid. any advice on which medicine is good to start with. i prefer just something to get him thru school because i can deal with him at home. 

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM

His Dr is the best one to tell you which is a good med to start on.

Ds1 started out on Vyvance and did well on it. Unfortunately, as he grew, his body adapted to the dosages and he eventually maxed it out. He's now on Adderall; he's been doing well on it, but we might have to increase the dosage soon. He goes back to the dr later this month to discuss it.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Ask for a med that can be taken during school hours and skipped on weekends and over the summer. They all might be that way, I don't know. If his ADHD is getting in the way of his success at school, I think you're making the right choice though I'm sure it wasn't easy. Just remember that finding the right med and dosage can take some time so you need patience and trust in your doctor. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
juno1
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM

We were scared too.  We waited, but in hindsight I wish I would have put my ds on meds earlier.  It really helped him to change his behavior, which helped him see himself in a much more positive light which in turn led to successes.  It was a good circle of events.  Eventually he learned to control his impulsive behavior...that came with maturity and now he just needs it to study.

Your doc will know which is best for him.  My son took adderall extended release and it worked realy well for him.  Took it in the morning and it just started to wear off at home after school.

Things to be aware of:

Appetite:  Adderall wreaks havoc on the appetite. Our son, who was slender to begin with lost lots of weight.  The doc told us to give him all high fat foods and not to worry about it affecting other areas negatively.  We made him ovaltine with half and half with some heacy cream in it just to get calories in.  

HIs Doctor, ( who was a Psychiatrist specializing in boys) told me that I could play around with the dose.  So, Adderall XR comes in capsules, when he first started 15 wasn't enough and 20 was too much ( it affected his sleep) so I would take a 20 open it and spill just a bit out.  As he got older I did the opposite, 20 wasn't enough and so instead of just jumping to the next dose i would add just a wee bit.  ( all with the Docs approval of course)  The pharmiacist had a heart attack when I told him.  WHen I shared this with the Doc he said, "rubbish" that is exactly why thy made it that way so that it  could be fine tuned.

Remember, what works for one child doesn't always work for another child so be open to trying new things to fine what is best for him.

Also, just so you know, my son never took it on weekends or summer.  He is now in College and doesn't take it everyday.  If he is studying for a biology or chem exam he will but knows he doesn't need them for his lab days.  

juno1
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Just a heads up on adjusting dosages...this might make it easier... I wrote this in my comment but didn't know if you'd see it...I just cut and pasted it here.

My son's  Doctor, ( who was a Psychiatrist specializing in boys) told me that I could play around with the dose.  So as you know, Adderall XR comes in capsules, when he first started 15 wasn't enough and 20 was too much ( it affected his sleep) so I would take a 20 open it and spill just a bit out.  As he got older I did the opposite, 20 wasn't enough and so instead of just jumping to the next dose i would add just a wee bit.  ( all with the Docs approval of course)  The pharmiacist had a heart attack when I told him.  WHen I shared this with the Doc he said, "rubbish" that is exactly why they made it that way... so that it  could be fine tuned.

Quoting wakymom:

Ds1 started out on Vyvance and did well on it. Unfortunately, as he grew, his body adapted to the dosages and he eventually maxed it out. He's now on Adderall; he's been doing well on it, but we might have to increase the dosage soon. He goes back to the dr later this month to discuss it.

littleleesmom
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Vyvance really helped me but i have no idea how it would work on a little one. What besides meds have you tried what does his doctor think?

KanPsMommy
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I don't have a child with ADHD but I grew up with siblings who did.. The whole "I'm not medicating them outside of school" really messed them up and made it horrible for the rest of the family as well. They did best on vyvance as well, others caused extreme loss of appetite while some caused them to eat like they'd never been fed before. It was really more trial and error for them to find the best with the fewest undesireable side effects. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM

We already open up his capsules- he can't swallow pills that size yet so we dump in in apple sauce. (I really need to work on that w/ him!) My only concern w/ adding from another capsule is that we would run out before being able to refill his prescription. So glad we've got a med check appt for him coming up.

Quoting juno1:

Just a heads up on adjusting dosages...this might make it easier... I wrote this in my comment but didn't know if you'd see it...I just cut and pasted it here.

My son's  Doctor, ( who was a Psychiatrist specializing in boys) told me that I could play around with the dose.  So as you know, Adderall XR comes in capsules, when he first started 15 wasn't enough and 20 was too much ( it affected his sleep) so I would take a 20 open it and spill just a bit out.  As he got older I did the opposite, 20 wasn't enough and so instead of just jumping to the next dose i would add just a wee bit.  ( all with the Docs approval of course)  The pharmiacist had a heart attack when I told him.  WHen I shared this with the Doc he said, "rubbish" that is exactly why they made it that way... so that it  could be fine tuned.

Quoting wakymom:

tuti712
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM

thank you all for the suggestions and advice.  his dr. had prescribed adderall but i never gave it to him. he's currently on vayarin which is a "brain food". he's been on it for a month and it suppose to work wonders but it hasn't with him.  i've been of trying daytrana which (for those who may not know) is a patch u wear from 4 to 9 hrs a day. i just feel comfortable with that because i guess i have control of how much medication he would be on. 

Shy_Dia
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:24 PM
That sounds like ds, except he's in second grade. Failing miserably! I finally decided to give meds a try. The doctor started him out with 10mg of adderall.... amazing difference! The best thing, for me- the meds kinda "kick in" after he takes them... and by 5pm or so, it's basically outta his system. He only takes it mon-fri... or whatever days he has school. He has off tomorrow, so he's not taking it in the morning.

I can handle his craziness lol but I know it interferes with his education, plus others around him.

It's supposed to be an appetite suppresser. I'm not 100% sure if that's happening to ds. He lost 2lbs in the last month, but we've also been really active. (He was 90lbs, way too high for his age/height) I'm keeping an eye on him to kinda make sure it's alright. But that's something the doctors will look out for as well
juno1
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:24 PM
My doc gives me a prescrip that calls for 2 a day.. So that gives me plenty.

Quoting KanPsMommy:

I don't have a child with ADHD but I grew up with siblings who did.. The whole "I'm not medicating them outside of school" really messed them up and made it horrible for the rest of the family as well. They did best on vyvance as well, others caused extreme loss of appetite while some caused them to eat like they'd never been fed before. It was really more trial and error for them to find the best with the fewest undesireable side effects. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)