Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Child Safety Challenge Day 2: Sports Safety

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM
  • 64 Replies

Welcome to Day 2 of the Child Safety Challenge!

Are your children involved in any organized sports?

How many sports do they play? Which ones?

Do they ever have an off season?

This is the age when organized and recreational sports become a big part of your child's life. It is important that they follow all safety guidelines.

1.35 million children were seen in emergency rooms last year with sports related injuries. The most common sports related injuries in children are: strains & sprains, fractures, contusions & abrasions, and concussions.

Here are some important tips to avoid sports related injuries.

• Before your child starts any sport, make sure they get a pre-participation physical exam from your family doctor. A physical exam will help to rule out any potential issues that could put your child at risk.
  • Children should drink plenty of water BEFORE, DURING and AFTER practices and games to avoid dehydration.
  • Make sure your child has correctly fitted sports equipment ie helmets, shin guards, knee pads etc..
  • Parents/guardians should be present at games and practices to ensure the play environment is safe.
  • Coaches/sports staff should be trained in CPR and first aid. They should know how to prevent, identify and respond to concussions as well as other injuries.
  • Experts recommend children have 10 weeks of consecutive rest before beginning another season to avoid overuse injuries.

This video discusses the risks and ways to avoid overuse injuries.

One member who signs up for our Child Safety Challenge and replies to all 5 of the daily posts will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Join Us For Our Child Safety Challenge & WIN a $25 Gift Card!

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MelanieMans
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM
My son is only 2 so he don't play sports yet but he loves to run around everywhere. My dad is gonna teach him to play tennis
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Yes, my kids have been playing organized sports for years.  They play club and school sports.  Football, basketball, volleyball, track, and swim team in the summer.  No, there is no "off season".  They are in a sport or two year round.  

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Mine aren't into organized sports, but the boys love to play pick-up games w/ kids in the neighborhood and at recess. In the neighborhood, it's usually football (touch/tag only); at recess, ds2 comes home talking about playing soccer,  basketball and kickball.

Jemia
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM
My son plays football and his last game is Friday then he will take a break till spring.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM

My DD is still young (4) but we have tried many sports with her already. 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:32 AM

She has participated in Dance, Ballet, Gymnastics and Soccer.  Dance was the best as it frustrated her the least.  She's a bit of a perfectionist.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:33 AM

She tends to have an off season during this time of year, which is just too busy for us personally to put her in sports.  We'd miss too many classes otherwise.  We do however continue on with music class.

johnny4ever
Today at 9:27 AM
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Not currently.
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:35 AM
My boys don't play any sports yet
JLC_mama
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Both my 3 and 9 ur old D's play baseball. We tried football with the 9 yr old but he wasn't enjoying it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN