Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Multiplication Help for DD

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:05 AM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter is in 4th grade and getting really behind on the multiplucation facts. We have her practice with flash cards every night but it doesn't seem like those are very effective for her and she doesn't seem to be enjoying them. What are some good things we can look into for helping her learn this stuff better? Thank you!

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you checked with your school for suggested websites?  Last year, my DD practiced multiplication on several websites that were suggested by her teacher.  She had a lot of fun on some of those websites.

You could also google free multiplication for 4th graders and weed through some of those sights.

I don't have the websites we used with me but if I still have them saved on my home computer, I will post them later when I get home.

=0)

TroyboysMom
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Try the game here, it's free: Timez Attack

What about music? Would she learn better if she heard the tables in music, and had songs to repeat? On SchoolTube, TeacherTube, or Youtube, you can find people who have put the tables to music, maybe that will help. 

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM
We are working on multiplication right now. There's a DVD called times tales that was pretty helpful. Multiplication wrap ups with the CD are good too. But our favorite way is he gets 3 seconds (depending on ability) to answer the flash card. If he gets it wrong he has to go clean something up. If he gets it right he gets to do whatever we choose that day. Usually it's jump on the trampoline 3 times or throw a ball once. He loves it and it helps get his room clean too :)
2-point-doe
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

You can also do it by groups of items like m&ms make groups of threes and start adding them together. Also practice counting by 2's, 3's, 4's etc. Make sure that she understands that 3 x 4 is 3 groups of 4 things or 4 groups of 3 things.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM

What helped ds1 was my writing the facts out as addition problems. I'd write out 2 x 3 = 6 and 2 + 2 + 2 = 6 side by side and point out how three 2s equalled 6, so 2 x 3 = 6.

It took a lot of paper, but seeing it "spelled" out like that helped him, so it was worth it.

jaytee
by Jen on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

We ask the kiddos their multiplication facts, spelling words, letter sounds, etc...whatever they are having difficulty with while we are in the car. We make it like a game. It has helped.

miss_AP
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Get out manipulatives and have her physically manipulate the items (beans, paperclips, jelly beans, whatever) into the equation. Write 2x3=__. Have her make 2 groups of 3. Count the answer. Also have her do it visually without the manipulative.... write the problem 4x5=__. Have her draw 4 groups of 5 stars/dots/hearts/whatever. Count the answer. Lather rinse repeat, along with the flashcards. Reptition and it wiill sink in :)

autodidact
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM

here's a video game format to practice that my son loved: 
http://www.bigbrainz.com/ 

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Yes, sounds like she needs to really understand them.  Are there certain facts she is struggling with?  Yahtzee is a hidden way to do lower numbers.  Otherwise, focus on skip counting, to help her get the numbrs in her head and having her figure it out when she gets stuck, using repeated addition.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN