Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What's that mean?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM
  • 21 Replies

The girls have learned about the middle finger at school. All they know is it meant a "bad word". They didn't know what though so today they asked me what it meant. I thought for a minute, trying to tell them something and finally just told them. They have heard the f word before, so that settled it.

I was just wondering how you would explain to your kids what it meant if they ask.

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kellie87
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Haven't had that happen... Yet! But my daughter did go through a small phase of saying "damn" (have no clue where she picked it up from). But one day she asked me "Mommy why do you get mad when you hear that word" and I said "its a bad word and Jesus doesn't like us using bad or mean words" and that was it. She never said it again.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I don't mince words.  I would have told them exactly what words the symbol stood for and what it meant.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM
DD came home and said it meant you were cursing God. I said that partially true, it actually was saying something bad to everyone and I'd better not see it again. So far I haven't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I just tell them "This is what it means, you do not say it and you do not use that gesture." They are good about not using curse words.

mickstinator
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

i told my son that every group of people has rules. it's not nice in other places to shake with your left hand, for example. i talk about how they can seem kind of silly, but it's important to remember because you don't want to hurt other people's feelings. 

jaytee
by Jen on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I would have just told them what it meant and that they were not to ever use that gesture

Lorena
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:20 PM
I just told them exaclly what it ment. They understood and we have not had an issue with it.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I knew the middle finger is a swear word but didn't realize it meant the 'f' word.  So not sure what exactly I would have said if I'd been asked before now.

Jellybean1123
by Jocelyn on Nov. 12, 2013 at 5:07 PM

My mom told me when my oldest was just a baby that it's best to just tell them the truth when they ask questions like that. I've found this to be true. My kids have always been satisfied with the truth and let it go at that.

steelcage
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM

My mom always beat around the bush, never gave a direct answer and never told the truth when it came to that stuff. I remember coming home in 3rd grade asking about the middle finger and she yelled at me for just asking. Don't get me started on how she handled sex talks...smh.

I tell my kids the truth. They're always happy with that answer and don't ask anymore questions, as there is no need to with the truth.

Quoting Jellybean1123:

My mom told me when my oldest was just a baby that it's best to just tell them the truth when they ask questions like that. I've found this to be true. My kids have always been satisfied with the truth and let it go at that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)