Welcome to Day 3 of the Child Safety Challenge!
Do your kids have access to the internet?
Do you monitor their usage and sites they visit?
Do you have blocks and filters in place?
How do you keep your children safe online?
Living in the age of technology presents safety challenges for our children. Whether it is school work research, watching videos or playing games, the internet is a big draw and easily accessible to our kids. As parents it is our responsibility to keep our kids safe while online.
Here are some online safety tips:
- Monitor your child's internet usage by utilizing your computers filters and blocking inappropriate websites.
- Keep electronics that access the internet in open view so you can monitor the sites your children are visiting.
- Make sure your children are not engaging in conversations with strangers online.
- Ensure your children are not giving out personal information like their name, address, phone number or school name online.
- Keep communication open with your kids so they feel comfortable enough to tell you if they are the target of cyberbullying.
- Reiterate to them that they should never agree to meet anyone in person that they befriended online.
- If your child receives any threatening or obscene messages forward copies of them to your internet service provider and in some cases, the authorities.
- Ensure your children are not sending and receiving photographs online.