Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Child Safety Challenge Day 3: Online Safety

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM
  • 60 Replies

Welcome to Day 3 of the Child Safety Challenge!

Do your kids have access to the internet?

Do you monitor their usage and sites they visit?

Do you have blocks and filters in place?

How do you keep your children safe online?

Living in the age of technology presents safety challenges for our children. Whether it is school work research, watching videos or playing games, the internet is a big draw and easily accessible to our kids. As parents it is our responsibility to keep our kids safe while online.

Here are some online safety tips:

• Monitor your child's internet usage by utilizing your computers filters and blocking inappropriate websites.
  • Keep electronics that access the internet in open view so you can monitor the sites your children are visiting.
  • Make sure your children are not engaging in conversations with strangers online.
  • Ensure your children are not giving out personal information like their name, address, phone number or school name online.
  • Keep communication open with your kids so they feel comfortable enough to tell you if they are the target of cyberbullying.
  • Reiterate to them that they should never agree to meet anyone in person that they befriended online.
  • If your child receives any threatening or obscene messages forward copies of them to your internet service provider and in some cases, the authorities.
  • Ensure your children are not sending and receiving photographs online.

One member who signs up for our Child Safety Challenge and replies to all 5 of the daily posts will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Join Us For Our Child Safety Challenge & WIN a $25 Gift Card!

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:04 AM
The boys don't currently have Internet access.

When they get their tablets for christmas they will. But mainly for educational games and homework help
JLC_mama
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM
My kids are not allowed online. We have a tablet but I download the educational apps. We have an app made for kids. They are only allowed on apps that I have set for them. Then it is programmed to boot them after 20 min.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nova.mommy
by Kristi on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Mine do have access to the internet.

They can only use a computer when DH or I are there.  Actually DH has a desk top in the office room that they are never allowed to use unless DH as sitting right there with them.  They use my laptop and their tablet mostly to play games.  If it is an online game, most of the time they use my laptop as it is on a toble in the morning room and they prefer to stand and use the mouse. I check every few minutes to make sure they are not some other site.

They are in secnd grade and kindergarten, so they don't know alot about surfing the web yet.  With the oldest that may change soon. Right know the only blocks we have had to put in use are for in-game purchases(some of the games they like to play are to a site I have subscribed to and will charge my account automatically).  Again, as they get older this may change.

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:34 AM

They do not have access to the internet as of right now. They are 8 and 5 and while they play games on our phones and Dh's tablet, that is all they are allowed to do.. my oldest is getting a Nook Tablet for Christmas and we will have parental controls on it so that she cannot just "surf". 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM

My children do not have their own devices that have Internet access. They borrow one of ours. Yes, they are monitored but my DD rarely uses the Internet.

othermom
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM

They do have access on our computer but they have their favorites list they are allowed to go on unless they ask to go some where else. The conputer is in the living room so we are able to watch them while they are on

TristansMom440
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM

My DS has access to the internet.  He spends his time on NickJr.com or starfall.  he also like to play candy crush on my FB.  LOL  We are always close by to make sure he doesn't click on the wrong thing.

jessica1078
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I have 2 that access the Internet from their own computers. My oldest (16) has a gaming pc that I built. When I built it I added a few modifications- I can remote access his pc from anywhere. I do check erased history and he knows. My dd has a laptop and I know all password/ log in info for sites she frequents. I monitor her history as well.
So far each kid has done great. However I've had to tell another mom about her dd's online activities and show the mom how to access her dd's pc. It worried me because she had many active conversations with strangers and the only way I found out was my accessing my dd's account.
soymujer
by Mikki on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM

My youngest doesn't really get on the computer. 

family in the van   Mom of four

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:56 AM

My kids are too young yet for things like FB and all that but we will use blocks and highly monitor

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)