Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Should parents be criminally responsible for their kids cyber-bullying?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 16 Replies

Do you think it is time to start holding parents criminally responsible for cyber-bullying?

Do you think cyber-bullying or bullying in general is a reflection of parenting? And if it is a reflection of parenting, should the parents be held accountable?

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soymujer
by Mikki on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think that bullying is a reflection of parenting.  I think that many times, the parent doesn't even know their child is a bully.

family in the van   Mom of four

lovemymini
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I think a parent should to an extent be responsible for their child's actions. It's a parents job to know what their kids up to.

Maybe after a warning is issued they should be held accountable.
lovemymini
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Kids learn to bully somewhere, if not a parent, then who?

Quoting soymujer:

I don't think that bullying is a reflection of parenting.  I think that many times, the parent doesn't even know their child is a bully.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Siblings, other kids, tv, etc.

Quoting lovemymini:

Quoting soymujer:

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I mostly agree with this. While a parent cannot monitor what their child is doing 24/7, they can set up as many guidelines for internet use as possible. Knowing what your kids are doing online can help prevent some of these problems.

Quoting lovemymini:

I think a parent should to an extent be responsible for their child's actions. It's a parents job to know what their kids up to.

lovemymini
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Either way it's the parents responsibility to monitor the want and who influences their child.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Siblings, other kids, tv, etc.

Quoting lovemymini:

Quoting soymujer:

lovemymini
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this
And knowing what they are watching and who they are talking to is big as well. Parents should have passwords to everything. I'm even be tempted to put a key logger on the kid computer to know what is said and to whom.

Quoting Reina13:I mostly agree with this. While a parent cannot monitor what their child is doing 24/7, they can set up as many guidelines for internet use as possible. Knowing what your kids are doing online can help prevent some of these problems.Quoting lovemymini:I think a parent should to an extent be responsible for their child's actions. It's a parents job to know what their kids up to.

TatyBear
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Yes.

For kids under the age of 16, their parents should br held responsible. After that, its the child's responsibility to take whatever consequences that happen.

If a parent can't see their child is a bully by monitoring and being involved, they are responsible IMO.
suetoo
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Yep. Parents should know what their kids are doing on their computers and phones!

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Absolutely not. A lot of the time, parents are unaware, and so many other factors play into what makes a child a bully. The bullies I knew had very loving, authoritative parents, and had great relationships with their siblings. It turns out one of the girls who used to verbally harass me was being sexually abused by her uncle so I forgave her in the end.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)