Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Child Safety Challenge Day 4: Passenger Safety

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:51 AM
  • 78 Replies

Welcome to Day 4 of the Child Safety Challenge!

Do your children use a booster seat? How long will they remain in one?

Are they properly restrained everytime they are in a vehicle?

Do they ever ride in the front seat?

Do you wear a seatbelt at all times whether you are the driver or passenger?

The older kids get, the more they want to sit in the front seat of the car. It is important for them to know that the safest place for them to ride in a car is in the back seat until they are at least 13 years old.

Did you know car accidents are a leading cause of death to children in the United States? Of the children who died in car accidents in 2011, 33% were not restrained.

Here are some tips to keep your children as safe as possible while riding in a car:

• When kids outgrow forward facing harness seats, they still are not ready for the adult seat belt. Instead they should transition to a booster seat that enables the adult seat belt to fit properly.
  • While in a booster seat, make sure it fits properly. The lap belt should fit low across the hips. The shoulder belt should go across the shoulder, not under the arm or behind the back.
  • When your child can pass the Safety Belt Fit Test and/or they reach the appropriate recommended height and weight (generally 4ft 9in and 80-100 lbs), they will no longer need a booster seat.
  • Lead by example. Children mimic adult behavior. Make sure you wear your seatbelt at all times as well.

This video demonstates the proper seat belt fit for a child in an adult seat belt without a booster seat.

One member who signs up for our Child Safety Challenge and replies to all 5 of the daily posts will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Join Us For Our Child Safety Challenge & WIN a $25 Gift Card!

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM

My son is still in a booster seat, he is 5 and will be until he is 100lbs. Never sits in the front seat. You have to be 12 for that and he will not do it a day before he is 12. We are all buckled and everyone that sits in my car must be buckled at all times. My DD is 15 and yes she sits in the front, she is taller than me, LOL. She did not sit in the front until she turned 12 and was in a booster seat until she was in 7th grade.

roseandlove
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:18 AM

My kids sit in the back in thier booster seats. My daughter is 8 and a friend of mine tells me she can get out of the booster seat but i dont belive it.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Ds1 is 14 and therefore no longer in a booster and rides in the front seat.

Ds2 and dd will be in boosters until they are 4' 9".  They are properly restrained 99.9% of the time. The only exception is going about 5 mph in a campground if we're driving from our site to shower/camp store, which isn't very often- we usually walk or ride our bikes. That is also the only time they ride in the front seat, if not all of us are going.

(waiting for bashing to begin)

I wear a seatbelt at all times, except for the previously mentioned campground occasions.

othermom
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:20 AM

My older two are no longer in booster seats they are 10 and 8. They both do well sitting  with the regukar belt. My youngest is 4 and still in a 5 point harness and will be for a while longer. She occasionally is in a booster when we ride in the car, but that has only been 3-4 times and she sits well in it.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Yes my boys are all in proper seats.
The last month since we have had a rental car my 5yo has gad to sit in the front, in his harnessed seat, because all 3 seats will not fit in back.

Not ideal, but much safer then improper belt fits in the back seat!
frzmamaof4
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM
My children are always buckled up. My oldest dd is 9 and uses a seat belt. My other children 6 & 4 use booster seats. My youngest dd (1) is in a convertible car seat. None of my children ever sit in the front seat. I always wear my seat belt while driving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Yes...until they fit in a seatbelt properly without a booster. 

The only time they are not restrained is if we are going a couple of houses to my BIL's house. We live in a circle subdivision that is very quiet- no cars but the ones that live in the small subdivision. If we are driving to their house because we are taking something bulky, they will occasionally hop in the front seat for the 30 second drive. 

My niece is 11 and taller than I am, so she sits in the front seat in their car and mine. I'm 5'1" and she is 5'4" already and over 100 lbs.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

TristansMom440
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM

My 6 yr old DS sits in the back always in his high back booster.  DH & I always wear seatbelts, as well.  Oh and another thing....no heavy coats on in the car!!  Very dangerous!  We keep blankets to cover up my son's legs in the winter.  Those puffy coats can be fatal in an accident when they squish!

ShhhItsASecret
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM
My 5 year old uses a booster, my 9 year old does not
ShhhItsASecret
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM
They always have their seat belt on and locked
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)