Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

PTA/PTO Participation

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:48 PM
  • 7 Replies

So I was wondering if you are involved in your school's PTA/PTO. This year I am president - got roped into it when no one else would take it on - and am looking for some new ideas of things to do. This is the school's 4th year but we have already been doing the same activities every year. 

Anyone have fun things your PTA/PTO group has sponsored?

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Unfortunately I am our PTA's President, I'm not thrilled at all. 

We generally do the same things every year, it makes it easier when setting the budget in the Spring.  We pay for each child to go on an educational field trip, each child gets a yearbook, we pay for 2-3 assemblies per year, we provide a track and field day as well as a carnival day.  We also have fun nights and movie nights where the kids come into the school after hours and participate in various activities.

The big keys are to make sure that you properly budget the funds that you bring in from fund raisers.  When working on a budget, the vast majority should be spent on the kids and not on administrative things or for the officers/members.

Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I'm not active in the school's PTO. 

Some fun things they've sponsored are an annual pumpkin festival which includes games and a haunted room, teacher appreciation day, annual pizza parties for each grade, family movie nights in the gym, and an annual silent auction galla to raise money.

soymujer
by Mikki on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I don't have time for it.

family in the van   Mom of four

Osstie
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Ha! I made a post today about how i was treated poorly yesterday while volunteering at the school. I dont think ill volunteer anymore. Waayyyy too clique-y!!
Dodie702
by Doriane on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Our school doesn't have one this year.
christi34
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I got promoted to Vice President since I'm always at the school helping.

blessedmom1978
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:48 AM

I just start going to the PTA meetings this year. My first meeting I was volunteered to organize the Movie nights and dances! the president is helping me so it is not that bad. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)