Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Child Safety Challenge Day 5: Medication Safety

Cafe MichelleP
Football, football and more football. It's the most wonderful time of the year.
Sunday at 9:09 PM
Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM
  • 58 Replies

Welcome to Day 5 of the Child Safety Challenge!

To get your children, especially younger children, to take their medicine have you ever told them it was candy or tasted like candy?

Do you keep medications whether over-the-counter or prescribed out of reach and site of your children?

How do you dispose of expired and unused medications?

Look in your medicine cabinets, do you currently have any expired/unused medication?

Every year more than 67,000 children end up in emergency rooms for medicine poisoning. That is one child every 8 minutes. Statistics show that 86% of these medicine poisoning cases were the result of a child ingesting an adults medication.

Here are some tips to keep your child safe from medicine poisoning:

• Think about all the places you keep medication. Places like your nightstand, in your car, in your purse and move them to a more secure place.
  • Make sure to properly store medication out of reach of children. Even if the medication is being taken on a dosing schedule, make sure to put it safely away between doses rather than leaving it out.
  • Talk to your children about medication safety. Children visit grandparents, family or friends who may be taking medication and do not have it properly stored out of reach.
  • Buy/ask for medications in child resistant packages, but remember that child resistant does NOT mean child proof.
  • Never refer to medication as 'candy' or 'tastes like candy' to get kids to take it.
  • Dispose of all unused and/or expired medications. (Call your local police/fire department, they often  have programs for people to bring all their old or expired medications for safe disposal).
  • Follow proper dosing instructions. If you have a question about dosing, contact your doctor or pharmacist
  •  Always use the dosing device that comes with your medication. A kitchen or cooking tea/tablespoon won't always measure the same as the dosing device.

One member who signs up for our Child Safety Challenge and replies to all 5 of the daily posts will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Join Us For Our Child Safety Challenge & WIN a $25 Gift Card!

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Most of our meds are stored in the hall closet. Up high. I do keep a small st ash in my purse. And if the boys need to take something daily we leave it on the high counter.

They hate meds, I just bribe them to take them lol
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Meds are kept in a kitchen cabinet.

No bribing here- prescriptions they know they have no choice. Otc, it's up to them; I tell them what will help, if they want it, I'll give it to them, if not, I don't want to hear them whining about it.

I've never told them it tastes like candy, but I will soometimes point out that they like a particular flavor.

I know we have some old/expired meds around. Our county has only 1 toxic waste dump day a yr and I missed it this yr. I either have to wait until next yr or shell out $40 to get rid of it sooner. It's so stupid- the county next to us (where we used to live) has tox-away days twice a month and it's free.

nova.mommy
by Kristi on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Ours are in a kitchen cabinet.  My child do not go into that cabinet(right now they still can not reach it).  We have 42" cabinets and other than the pills DH and I take daily, most are on the upper shelves.

We usually use them before they expire, but on the ocassions we have them, it is usually not much and a pharmacy will take them.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM

We don't have a lot of medicines but the ones we do have are stored in a top cabinet. 

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:55 AM
no n no
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:55 AM

That's crazy to read that so many kids are seen in ERs for medicine poisoning, very scary!!

cindilou13
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I work for a retail pharmacy chain, so a lot of this is second nature to me after years of hearing about it, even before I had kids : ).

We store all non-daily use meds in a sealed container on the top shelf of the closet that is in our bedroom, which keeps them from being easily accessible as well as at the proper temperature and humidity levels.   I have one container for adult items, one for kid items, one for first aid stuff. I go through in the spring and fall and make sure we have nothing expired and re-stock anything we should have on hand that is low or needs replaced.  I do keep some band aids, bacitracin, and a thermometer within easier reach-they are 6 & 9 and definitely understand that the cream isn't a toy or food.  I have first aid wipes and band aids in the car, and if its necessary to take anything else when we are going somewhere, I put it in my purse which the kids don't get into.  I'm also cognizant of keeping things away from other or smaller children if we are around them. 

DS9 is the only one on any daily meds, and he administers those himself (nose spray and inhaler)-he's been on and off them for years and understands fully how and when to take them; we supervised for quite some time & still check randomly to ensure this. They are in his bathrroom and he uses them in the morning & at bedtime.  He knows they are the reason he stays well and is 100% compliant with taking them correctly, and his sister knows to leave them alone. 

For the kids, we have never told them it was candy or tasted like candy; we have been open that medicines are needed but must always be taken safely and we've been open about the dangers of taking too much-and not just medicines but vitamins as well.  If they have to take something that is gross they are both old enough to just do it and know that they will can get a small drink if that's ok with the medicine or brush their teeth afterwards if needed.  We also know to check ingredients and interactions of medicines before taking multiple items-I am amazed that people still have interactions by mixing medications with duplicate ingredients.  I thought this was common sense but apparently it's not!  We determine dosage by weight not age and use a dosage cup or syringe for measuring liquids.  We always check with the Pharmacist if we need to know something about interactions, reactions, can you mix a medicine with food or drink or cut it in half, etc.

othermom
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I have never told them it taste like candy. We are actually pretty big on explaining they are only to take it if certain peope give it to them when they are sick or certain ones if their doctors tell them too and they are not to touch them otherwise. They all have been pretty good about taking them, except when my son was younger, but I figured out ways by squeezing it in to the inside of his cheek.

AliKatAK47
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Luckily my children aren't young so these aren't concerns for me. 

My kids are kind of on to the fact that pills and other medicines do not taste like candy, so I don't even try to lie to them.  Dimetapp and other cough syrups do taste sweet but they are well aware that they are not to be taken unless someone gives it to you.

They can see it, they just know not to touch it. Its in the medicine cabinet over the bathroom sink. 

Honestly, we take the entire course of medication when it is perscribed to us so there is hardly any unused medication. Except Asprin, Tylenol and other OTC painkillers.  I know there's some Robitussin in there as well (my grandmother insists that we have some because "there aint no fussin with the tussin") and some Dimetapp.

lovemymini
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Meds are always kept high and out of reach. I have never referred to medicine as candy and actually aren't big on medicating DS at all.

When prescriptions are expired we drop them off with a person of authority.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)