Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

walking to school

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM
  • 40 Replies
I'm just trying to get an age I can look forward to for my kids to get themselves to school in the morning. Since we live less than a mile from school the bus won't pick them up. so at what age do you trust your child to walk to school on their own?
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Not walk... but I'd probably let them bike starting in 5th or 6th?   I will always have a child to get to school, though... so it wouldn't be a ton of help, just one less place to stop!  ;)

smarieljlee
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM

10 ish. my dd will not though. She does not pay enough attention to her surroundings.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I was walking to school on my own roughly 1st or 2nd grade.  Dd is in 2nd grade and if she wants to walk to school, we walk with her.  We live outside of walking boundaries since there is a 4 lane street between here and school.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 6:31 PM

My school aged child is 7 years old and in second grade.  Some of his same age/grade friends ride/walk to school.  He doesn't for three reasons:

1. People don't know how to drive around here.
  2. He has to cross a main road and there isn't always a crossing guard
  3. He loses focus easily
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I would say It's your choice, no-one can really give you a definite answer. LOL. Being the super protective mom I am, My children will never walk to school. (It's about 20 miles. LOL.)

It would depend on a lot of things like:
The maturity of the child.
The neighborhood.
The roads around your house and school.
If they're walking alone or with siblings and/or classmates
Ect,ect,ect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM

We live too far from any of the schools for mine to walk.

I started walking about 1/2 mile to school alone (and not in a straight shot- there was no way you could see the school from my house) in 4th gr.

xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM
The rule around here is that kids have to be attended until 3rd grade whether walking or riding the bus. I started walking to school alone in 3rd and it was kind of scary, but I had to cross a busy street in a city where people are known for driving like pricks and disregarding red lights/pedestrians on crosswalks.
Pnukey
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Never, or maybe HS. We're not there yet. We live about 1/4 block from the school, with no major streets to cross. I am just not comfortable with it.  I need to know they have safely gotten to school.

soymujer
by Mikki on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM

My kids walked to school when they were 7.

family in the van   Mom of four

mommy053008
by Maria on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM
We will never walk to school we live waaaayyy too far away Lol. I don't k ow your family so I couldn't say.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)