Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

School "F"s

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 11 Replies

My DS took his benchmark tests this week, and while he did well (he's an honor roll student), the school is now an "F" school. My husband thinks that it's fine as long as DS is doing well. But I compaired him going there to someone trying to live off of kids cereal and nothing else. Sure, he's being educated, but he is not being educated to his potential. This is the schools first year to fail (last year they were a "C" school). aside from moving (which we would like to do, but we are kind of stuck here) is there anything we can do?

by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Few questions for you.

What grade is your son in? Have you been happy with the school until seeing this rating? 

They don't grade schools like that here in our state, but if a school is failing, we receive a letter and we're told what our options are. Did you get some kind of letter saying why their rating went down? Does that factor affect your child's education? With this lower rating, does it open other opportunities like the opportunity to go to another school and/or free tutoring?

If you're unsure what an "F" rating means for schools in your state, you could look at your state's Board of Education website to find more information. Every state is different, and so it's hard for us to give advice when we live with different school regulation than you do. For instance, we don't have that rating system in my state, and in addition, we have unlimited school choices for no additional cost in addition to charter and magnet schools. So we're not restricted to a neighborhood school even if the local school is fabulous.

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM

The school is rated an F school according to who?  Is that rating given by your state department of education or a site similar to greatschools?

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Are there quality private or charter schools near you?  If so, are any of them an option for you?

Is homeschooling an option for you?  

You could always try supplementing his eduation yourself - you could do homeschool type things in the evenings or weekends.  Maybe there are books he could read, science experiments he could do, math challenges he could do.

I do agree with you that no matter how well your son is doing, the fact that the school is failing (whatever the standard is for determining that) isn't good.  I would definitely consider the options.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Why is the school rated so low?

We are in an area where it is predominately low income, there are MANY ESL (English as Second Language) kids and they just can't score well on the state testing. It isn't thatthe school sucks, it's the fact that that we hae A LOT of migrant families that haven't had stable education and the kids coming in are behind.

It is the same with the homeschool charter program we use. Most of the kids ere pulled from public school because they were failing these kids. The kids with ADHD, that the kids will ot help, the kids that have learning disabilities that were just labled trouble makers, the kids that are gifted but bored, etc. We do NOT teach to the test at all. My kids do Moderate to poor on most of it Why? Because we don't follow the state curriculum. For math we use a  mastery curriclum - DD in 5th grade is just barely getting into fractions. However, by time she is done with the year will be doing them at an 8th grade level.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Pnukey
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I would honestly just worry about my own kid and make sure he is doing well. School report cards are a total joke. The school where I work is also rated an 'F' but we did not get points for a lot of things we are doing. Our grade was lowered due to technicalities and different interpretations of requirements. The grade is being challenged/appealed (?) because the people who do the grading aren't even educators and don't know what they're talking about.

If you have been generally happy with his education so far, keep him there and make sure he continues to do well.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM
That's not good. The kids test scores must of gone down. Same thing happened to our school. The kids stopped caring about taking the test and brought the schools rank down. Our principal is doing an incentive program to try and get the kids more interested in doing well on the tests.
teri4lance
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:27 AM

IMO being a big fish in a small pond is NOT a ticket tolife long success. they will never be truly prepared to compete with kids who were average fish in big ponds, let alone the big fish in big ponds. I would get the hell out of that school at all costs. we jsut did this over the sumer - and I am already glad we did. 

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I would definately get him into another school. Quality of education comes before grades in my book. What are the reasons for it being rated so low?

mommy053008
by Maria on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM
My DD is in private the school we were zoned for is a D school I refused to set her up for failure before she's begun her school career.
nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM
We are zoned for a D school (which i would never send my kid to a D school). Luckily we have school of choice here so DD goes to an A rated magnet school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)