Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pinatas at birthday parties

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM
  • 59 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was just reading the Dear Heloise column in my local newspaper. A mother wrote in to say that, when planning her child's birthday party, another mother commented that her daughter had been confused by a pinata at a birthday party she attended.  She is taught to not hit, but now was being told to hit something that looked like a character in her favorite tv show.  The mother who wrote in said we need to think about the inconsistencies we present to our children.  Heloise printed the note without comment.

I personally think children are smart enough to know the difference between hitting people & hitting a pinata.

What do you think?

October is Celiac Awareness Month - undiagnosed Celiac disease is a risk factor for miscarriages & a cause of unexplained infertility. Only 1 out of every 5-6 people with Celiacs have been diagnosed.  csaceliacs.org, celiac.com National Foundation for Celiac Awareness

Gwen (43) David (56) Augie (6.5) Alex (4.5)

by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookwormy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM
I'm not a huge fan personally. I think they're messed up, but we allow them.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Why do you think they are messed up?

Quoting Bookwormy:

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM

While we've never had one, my kids have been to parties that did. They know the difference between hitting real people/animals and hitting an object that looks like a person/animal.

Teach your kids the difference and there shouldn't be a problem.

Bookwormy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:39 PM
They are indeed aggressive. Usually they are loaded with candy & cheap toys. I don't see anything positive in that.

Quoting GwenMB:

Why do you think they are messed up?

Quoting Bookwormy:

jaytee
by Jen on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I agree with you

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Exactly.  Hitting an inanimate object can even be therapeutic (not that a pinata is designed that way, though).

Quoting wakymom:

While we've never had one, my kids have been to parties that did. They know the difference between hitting real people/animals and hitting an object that looks like a person/animal.

Teach your kids the difference and there shouldn't be a problem.

kLynch315
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM
2 moms liked this

We had one at my son's 6th birthday. It is meant for fun and kids know the difference between hitting an object and a person. As a kid, I never ever thought that hitting a pinata was equivalent to hitting a person. 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Yeah, I'm just not seeing how a child is confused by this. It makes me wonder how old the child in the Dear Heloise column was.

Quoting kLynch315:

We had one at my son's 6th birthday. It is meant for fun and kids know the difference between hitting an object and a person. As a kid, I never ever thought that hitting a pinata was equivalent to hitting a person. 

saltlifemama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow..... I think that is a stretch. My kids have had them and I have taken some to school for class parties. It hasn't induced any violent behavior that I have seen.

lenashark
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has a pinata at his birthday parties, this years was shaped like a pirate ship, and he's been to many parties with pinatas. He has never had a problem with hitting. Kids understand the difference between hitting someone and breaking open an inanimate object to get candy, they are smarter than what some peopel give them credit for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)