Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Christmas Carols Don't Belong in Public Schools

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:56 PM
  • 49 Replies

Christmas Carols Don't Belong in Public Schools

by Jeanne Sager Yesterday at 6:45 AM

Christmas CarolsWhat's the first sign that Christmas is coming? Christmas carols in stores? Maybe. That is if you can actually hear the tinny version "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" over the kvetching of the parents who are PO'd that yet another public school has come out and banned traditional Christmas carols from the winter concert.

Aww. Those poor, poor people. Their kids' school finally entered the 21st century, and now they expect us all to feel bad for them.

So, do you? Feel bad for them, I mean? Because I don't.

I do, however, feel bad for all those Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, atheist (need I go on?) kids out there who are virtually being pushed aside every time there's another hew and cry over Christmas carols being banned in schools.

Go ahead and call it a war on Christmas (you're going to anyway). I'm more worried about the war being waged on those kids every time one of their parents' dares speak up.

Take, for example, the York Preparatory Academy, a public charter school in Rock Hill, South Carolina, that just dropped Joy to the World and Oh Come All Ye Faithful from the concert. They're coming under fire from the right wing conservatives who are nattering on about tradition and how their values are being attacked. 

The problem with that argument? In a public school system, outdated traditions unfairly trap children. They don't get to dictate which songs they sing and which they don't in a winter chorus event. Often their grade for music class depends on showing up and singing along with everything on the agenda for the day. They deserve a fair playing field too, to have a winter concert where they aren't completely unnerved by what they're being asked to do by their teachers.

News flash: not everyone in the good ol' U.S. of A. wants to adore oh Christ the Lord or believes that the Savior reigns.

If you do, that's great! Take your kids to church, and you can be merry and praise Jesus all you want. That's your right as an American. 

But a full 16 percent of Americans say they are not affiliated with any religion these days. Another 4.7 percent of the population subscribes to a non-Christian religion. That's nearly a quarter of the population -- a quarter of the kids out there -- who have rights too.

You can sing carols to your heart's content on weekends, folks. Just keep them out of the public school. OK?

What sort of songs do they sing at your kid's school?

by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Johnhenrysgirl
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM

My daughter's in 4th grade and in Public school; she's going to be singing, "A Christmas Carol" Dec 2 times, once for school and once for afterschool to the public. I don't see a big deal with Christmas songs in public school.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this
When they were in PS they did a mix. They had a Christmas song, chanukah song amd a kwanza song then something non-religous like jingle bells and frosty the snowman.
SahmTam
by Tammy on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM
4 moms liked this

As someone who has never celebrated Christmas in my life, I think calling Christmas carols in school a war on kids is a little overdramatic. We've dealt with Christmas carols, gift exchanges, parties, etc. over our 8 years so far with kids in public school. We simply explain our beliefs and why we won't be participating in certain things and there has never been a problem. I think that it's nice when a school sticks to more generic winter songs, but a war... no.

aj23
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:14 PM
3 moms liked this

There are plenty of 'Christmas' songs that don't mention Christ or religion so I don't see why there should be a ban on them all.
I'm not religious but I wouldn't support a ban of Rudolph, Winter Wonderland, Frosty the Snowman and other songs like that.
There is more than one holiday this time of year so instead of banning songs why not include more from other holidays or just stick to winter and non religious songs?

LadyAmaranth
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM
2 moms liked this

They've sang little winter ditties but that's all I've seen or heard from them.

I could care less as long as the religious ones are kept out. 

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 3:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I teach choir.  When parents signed their kids up, on the registration form I asked if religious songs at Christmas were something that they were comfortable with.  Everyone was fine with it, but if anyone was not, then I would not have included them.  I consider myself to be religious, but I think way too big of a deal is made out of what to call Christmas and whether or not to include certain songs.

PoplarGrove
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 4:00 PM
7 moms liked this

I think the banning of religious songs at Christmas is ridiculous and I'm a Pagan.  

My 13 yr old dd is a self proclaimed agnostic butfor her Christmas concert she was offered a solo.  She wanted to sing Silent Night because it's so beautiful.  She isn't allowed to.  When I asked her why she would fight to sing a Christian song (she's still fighting with administration to do it) she said "Every religion celebrates miracles in December.  Just because I don'believe in God doesn't mean the story isn't still beautiful.  We can sing about a fat guy magically fitting down a chimney but we can't sing about a baby being born in a manger...that's just stupid.  I believe the story of the baby before I believe the story of Santa".  

Irishmommy860
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM

They sing the winter songs mostly. But they do also sing song for all religions as well. Why change a good thing

Order by December 1st for guaranteed Christmas shipping

Become a fan on facebook 

tcallisto
by Theresa on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I think banning just the religious songs is silly.  I don't want any songs, seculaer or religious songs banned.  Its part of being tolerant to to others beliefs.  If we ban against something people don't believe in to appease others, than all of the songs would have to be banned.

SewingMamaLele
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM

My son's class did a whole Diwali celebration a few weeks back... should that have also been banned?   What's wrong with learning about each others holidays, traditions etc...?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)