Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Are they really working?

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 47 Replies

My kiddo is out of school this week but my nephews are in school until Wednesday. My sister said that she doesnt know why they are in school when all they are doing this week is fluff. Watching movies, having a Thanksgiving dinner, trivia games, free time etc...

Are your kiddos in school this week and are they doing 'real' work or just fluff?

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Uh yeh.  My 5th grader has numerous big tests this week, as well as, a major project and paper due.  My junior high and high schoolers both do too.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Today I'm sure they are doing "real" work, but won't do a lot tomorrow because it's the school's VIP day where adults can come in for lunch and classroom activities from 10:30-1:15.

kLynch315
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

No school. The Friday before they got out for break was a 'fun day' with no real work. Although my 4th grader did work on a Chirstmas project (but I think it was a fun project). 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM

We homeschool but are playing catchup today since we slacked last week. Each child is only doing core subjects that they need. We do use a charter school and technically they are off all week but I hate when they just sit home and play video games so we spread the work out a bit.

DD is doing math, History, spelling

DS1 is doing a scout merit badge for History, math and Literature 

DS2 will do spelling and math

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM
My second grader has testing this week, but my first grader is having a fluff week.
RMC007
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Last year, my district was open on the Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving, but due to the amount of absences on those two days, they decided to give students and staff members the entire week off. Almost every district in my very large city has the whole week off for Thanksgiving. We did do work last year, but our principal asked us not to give any major grades as we knew we would have a ton of kids not there.

choco_mom
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Yep my 5th grader is in school today and tomorrow and yep doing work.  Has a math test today.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Nov. 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Our school is in tll Wednesday and they are learning. The schedule is normal.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM

We are moving to a new building in December/January and before the move got postponed from summer, we were supposed to have this whole week off. But, the kids have an extra week off in January so teachers can get settled in so we had one day taken off Fall Break and 2 days off of this week to add back instruction time. So, we are at school today and tomorrow. The problem is that we have had only 2 days off since school started the second week of August. Kids are exhausted and teachers are exhausted. We are supposed to be having instruction but it's an almost losing battle. 

I went over to my son's classroom earlier to help share treats with his class since his birthday was yesterday. His teacher was talking about how wild the kids were and she was repeating herself numerous times trying to get them to obey her. It's that way all over our school system right now.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Lunch at our school where parents can come and eat with their kids. A lot of kids will go home after that. The others have a chance to pay $3 for a movie, pizza, popcorn, and a drink in the afternoon. So, tomorrow is absolutely a wash as far as instruction goes. But when we mapped out our curriculum maps at the beginning of the year, we knew not to plan on instruction tomorrow. Our principal is great about planning any extra fluff activities on days right before holidays so we aren't losing too many instructional hours on misc junk. For instance, the Friday before Spring Break we have our Field Day. The day we get out for Christmas Holidays is the day we have our AR reward activity for fall semester, etc.

saltlifemama
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM
My boys are out the full week. This is a first though. Normally we go at least Monday and Tuesday. In the past the younger kids didn't do much. The higher grades however did everything as normal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)