Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Why I'm Getting My Son Everything on His Christmas List

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 46 Replies

Why I'm Getting My Son Everything on His Christmas List

by Mary Fischer

little boy with santa

As the mom of a second grader who will be turning 8 years old in a matter of months -- I'm no dummy when it comes to Christmas. Given his age, I know my days are numbered as far as how much longer he'll believe in Santa -- and something in my gut keeps telling me this just might be his last year. (Excuse me while I pause and cry a little bit.)

And since this might be the last time we experience all of the magic that goes along with a child waiting for Santa's arrival -- my husband and I are pulling out all the stops this year when it comes to gifts from the man in the red suit. 

Our son hasn't really made a list yet, but when he does? We're going to do everything in our power to make sure our little guy receives close to if not everything on it. (Unless he asks for something WAY out of reason, of course.)

Even if it means we have to run up the credit cards a little bit more or shell out a few extra bucks more than what we expect -- I just can't see ruining what might be the last year of Santa's magic in my house for the sake of saving some extra dough.

Not that he won't believe in Santa if he doesn't receive what he asks for -- but seeing the look on his face when he finds exactly what his little heart most desires on Christmas morning is worth every extra cent.

And before I go any further, I should probably go ahead and point out that we are dialing back the gifts our son will receive from us this year, which should even things out a little bit. (We're getting a family dog right after Christmas -- which is a HUGE gift for all three of us.)

Back to Santa and why I just can't bring myself to see him disappoint my little dude on December 25. Maybe it's just a case of me being really, really selfish -- but I want to cling to every last minute of the innocence that comes with thinking Santa actually squeezes his fat ass down the chimney each year. And laying awake at night listening for the reindeer's hooves on the roof. And running downstairs at the crack of dawn because he just can't stand to wait one more minute to see what Santa brought him.

If there is anything other than a look of wonder, excitement, and absolute elation on his face -- I'll just die. I mean, he won't notice if two or three things are missing. But if the bigger gifts he has his heart set on aren't there? OMG. What if my husband and I wind up killing his belief in the big man right then and there? That would suck.

At least by going all out one last time, there's the remote possibility that we can squeeze one more year out of him believing in Santa when Christmas 2014 rolls around.

And then I'll have to write a similar post all over again. Uh-oh ...

When did your kids stop believing in Santa Claus?

by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I agree. My son is also eight and i really, really hope this isn't his last year *sobs* we're doing everything we can to keep the secret. I stopped believing when I was 8-9... but I had an older sister so we figured out together. She was 10-11.
kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Thanks God dd knows the truth about Santa
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM
5 moms liked this

While I totally get the idea of making Christmas magic as they are stopping believing, I don't think that means getting everything on the list!  My gosh, if i did that, I would spend thousands of dollars and my daughter would be absolutely spoiled.  I think that she will be as thrilled with a couple of key items and it will still be magical. 

A friend once told me that when her DD was young, a teacher instructed the parents to make a list of the things they wanted (material) and then to check what they actually owned.  The point was, we all want lots of things, but can't have them all!  It makes good sense to me.  Now if DD's list was small, as it was when she was 4, she could have everything she wanted.  But now at age 7, she has a huge list of things she wants with no regard for cost, space in our house, etc.  So we will get the most cherished item on the list and have it be from Santa and give a few things to her from us too.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm not thrilled with this notion that magic of Christmas is all about gifts. 

I fully intend to make the most of these years when the kids believe. But that doesn't mean giving them all the gifts they want. Christmas magic isn't about gifts. 

4wildbeasts
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Well I hope she enjoys having a spoiled brat.
foltzy
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids were 7 and 5, just last year when they told me they no longer believed. There was no devastation, no magic ruined. We continue on as we ever have. Cookies and milk for Santa, carrots for the reindeer, except they know we are the ones who eat them. It's a different sort of magic now and we've had many talks about a guy name Santa and why we as parents pretend he's real. Of course from the time they were very small, they understood not all kids got gifts and that's why we donate a toy from each for toys for tots. They enjoy giving as much as receiving, they're kids after all.

It's also taken a bit of weight off my shoulders. No more sneaking around on Christmas Eve to put out presents before they catch me. No more being afraid they will find the wrapped presents. They even picked out their wrapping paper this year (Santa and is wrapped in the same paper, so they would know which gifts were their's before they could read).
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM
2 of my children still believe.
DD is 2 and really wants the little people farm, which is easy enough. "Santa" has it and will be bringing it. LOL.

My son is 9 and still believes. He's not getting everything on his list. I have the children keep the list short. Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read and something they really would love to have.

His want is a John Deere semi pulling a tractor. (done) "Wear and need" is pj's and gloves (done)
Unfortunately his "read" I can't find, he wants Alice charmers books.
His "really love to have" is a snow-mobile. Maybe next year, we actually thought about it but he's right inbetween the size for a child one and a adult one and I'm not spending that type of money for him to use it one year. The child one only goes like 10mph, you can walk faster then it goes and DH's snow-mobile can't even go that slow. LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Trixie-n-Moon
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:57 PM
My kids are 6 and almost 8 and haven't believed for a couple of years. Christmas is still magical and fun.
soymujer
by Mikki on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Not sure when.  My youngest is 8 and still believes.

family in the van   Mom of four

jamianne
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I'm failing to see how getting everything a child wants equals the magic of Christmas.  I refuse to run up the credit cards or go into debt for the holidays so my kids have never gotten anywhere close to everything they've asked for, yet Christmas has always been magical for them.

My four year old still believes.  My six year old is having doubts.  I'm a little sad that he may not believe after this year, but it's not affect what gifts "Santa" brings him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)