Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kinder nightmare! Update

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 43 Replies
Update. On thursday the schedule change was announced. One class would go to the new schedule the other would stay the same. Dh and I have figured a way to pay for full day and will change that in jan. On the note sent home about the changes it said "since 1/2 day ony recieves 1/2 the cirr we hope you have been working with your child so that they will be ready for 1st grade." I called yhe district and let them know what was going on and the are very concerned as full day is in fact supposed to be an enrichment program not a 2x the academics. I will be following up with them in the coming weeks. They are also wanting to talk more about the social isdues as that is an issue they have been concerned with in general. Even if I can change things for my kid im not letting it go. Our school is in the wrong on this.

edit.. Yes ive taked with the princepal and teachers about my concerns twice this year already

This is my second kid in this school, our first k experience was fantastic, we were so excited. But this year has royally sucked!
There are only 12 1/2 day kids and they decided to put them in the same class as the full day. Full day is $300/mo. We cant swing that. Anyway it came out early that they were doing 2x the math and reading time with the full day kids after years of full day being academic in the am and specials and science and ss in the pm. But this year the 1/2 days gets 1/2. Also not just mine but many from what I hear from parents are feeling very much less than the full day kids as the keep pulling the 6 1/2 days kids in each class away and doing things cause the dont run the schedule to do the academics with everyone at once. My kid and others have all year begged to be full day. Mine has even saved his tooth money in hopes of going all day. This was never ever an issue with the seperate 1/2 day class. Now in jan they want to change the 1/2 day schedule to 2 fill days, a 1/2 day and then a 4 day weekend. Why because it would be easier for them not to deal with the split schedule. But then the would be getting the specials and extras of full day and loosing even more time at reading and math instruction! I so wish we would have choiced out the first week. But I think at this point it would cause more harm than good to my kid :(
Thoughts? Has anyone ever heard of this?
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyAmaranth
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Never heard of that. What a mell of a hess!

Here's a bump since I have no answer.

Kermitthemom23
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Thanks. Bump again. Ya big mess
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM
If your kid wants to go full day then I would talk to the school and see if you can work something out for tuition. Lots of schools have some kind of sliding fee scale so it isn't such a burden on the family.
Kermitthemom23
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Nope, nothing like that for k here. Thats why they offer 1/2 day.
And its not just my kid its all 12

Quoting shadow_lark: If your kid wants to go full day then I would talk to the school and see if you can work something out for tuition. Lots of schools have some kind of sliding fee scale so it isn't such a burden on the family.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Dec. 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

What else can the school do? There aren't enough half day kids to fill up the class. 

Personally, I would be thrilled that my child wanted to be in school more. Kids need to learn they can't always have what they want. Just keep telling him he will get to stay all day next year. 

Kermitthemom23
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Yes but how is that going to play out next year now that 12 kids are getting 1/2 the accademics of the others.
And sadly my kids has learned the great lesson that if you dont have as much money as everyone else you get shafted. Oddly an issue we never had to deal with years ago with my oldest when we were on food stamps and medicaid for a spell there.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

What else can the school do? There aren't enough half day kids to fill up the class. 

Personally, I would be thrilled that my child wanted to be in school more. Kids need to learn they can't always have what they want. Just keep telling him he will get to stay all day next year. 

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, but you aren't responsible for solving the problem for the other 11 kids. So it seems like you have four options: keep things as they are, cut back on other things to afford full day tuition, switch districts, or home school.

I agree that the schedule seems crazy ridiculous, but if there is only a tiny class of half day, it makes no sense to hire an additional teacher for them. It would end up costing the school more money that they probably don't have. Would the other parents consider meeting with the teachers and principal all together o come up with something that would work for everyone?

Quoting Kermitthemom23: Nope, nothing like that for k here. Thats why they offer 1/2 day.

And its not just my kid its all 12

Quoting shadow_lark: If your kid wants to go full day then I would talk to the school and see if you can work something out for tuition. Lots of schools have some kind of sliding fee scale so it isn't such a burden on the family.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Dec. 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

So should the school not offer it to anyone then?

Other than the super wealthy all kids miss out on things other kids get to have. No matter how much you make someone will make more and have more. 

Quoting Kermitthemom23: Yes but how is that going to play out next year now that 12 kids are getting 1/2 the accademics of the others.
And sadly my kids has learned the great lesson that if you dont have as much money as everyone else you get shafted. Oddly an issue we never had to deal with years ago with my oldest when we were on food stamps and medicaid for a spell there.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

mommy053008
by Maria on Dec. 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM

All ours here (with the exception of one private school) do full day kindergarten at no extra cost. My DD is in a private school and she goes full day. I couldn't even wrap my mind around having 1/2 day and full day kids in the same class that is bizarre.

Hope it all works out for you.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Kermitthemom23
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Ive never had an issue with 1/2 day before. We were super excited about it. When we found out about how it would work this year we were cautiously optimistic.
Its really the way the school has run things that is causing issues

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

So should the school not offer it to anyone then?

Other than the super wealthy all kids miss out on things other kids get to have. No matter how much you make someone will make more and have more. 

Quoting Kermitthemom23: Yes but how is that going to play out next year now that 12 kids are getting 1/2 the accademics of the others.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)