Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help I don't know what to do.

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 3:07 AM
  • 16 Replies

My daughter is in the 4th grade and her teacher has been punishing her for things that are not a violation of any rule or regulation and she has also been ostrasizing her in front of the whole class.  during a parent teacher conferance I was told after i raised some questions that i was not allowed to talk because i was a stepparent.  the problem is my spouse is japanese and does not speak english well enough to ask/answer questions about stuff like this but they did give permission for me to talk for them but the school said no and then wouldn't even make eye contact with me and were very disrespectful, I dont know what to do.

by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 3:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bellawomen
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Well more details would be helpful.  What is she being punished for and what are the punishments?

If your husband does not speak English, check your laws and see if the school is required to provide and interpreter.  Does your step daughter speak English well?

Where is the mother?

HeatherMarieT88
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 3:11 AM
That's bullshit! My daughters stepmom came with her father to the parent teacher conference and we all spoke. I think they Are discriminating and I would file a complaint. If nothing gets fixed after the complaint then take it to court and/or encourage your significant other to change your stepdaughters school.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Dec. 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM

If the father is there and he gives you permission to participate they can't tell you not to talk. What exactly did they say to you?

Is her mother in the picture? Could she have asked the teacher to keep you out of the meeting?

What things is she be punished for? How is the teacher ostracizing her? What is the teacher saying?

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I started to type and then read your questions.  This is what I want to know as well.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

If the father is there and he gives you permission to participate they can't tell you not to talk. What exactly did they say to you?

Is her mother in the picture? Could she have asked the teacher to keep you out of the meeting?

What things is she be punished for? How is the teacher ostracizing her? What is the teacher saying?

othermom
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Need more information to be able to give advice.

amonkeymom
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM

It sounds like maybe you need a notarized letter or even something added to the custody agreement that states that you are allowed to be involved in your step daughter's education, etc.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM
My questions too. More details would be helpful.

Quoting mjande4:

I started to type and then read your questions.  This is what I want to know as well.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Doesn't the school HAVE to provide an interpreter for conferences? Here, that is the case. 

I would be calling the Board of Education in your state to discuss what your legal rights are.

StephanieSH
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 2:47 PM
That doesn't sound right to me. My husband went to many conferences for his brothers bc his parents don't speak English and as a teacher, I often had another family member act as an interpreter during conferences. We are in California and I guess state law could vary but it still doesn't make sense.
mommy053008
by Maria on Dec. 8, 2013 at 2:52 PM
More details
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)