Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

would you want to know?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM
  • 73 Replies
Yesterday we were out and ds (he's 8) said something about drunk driving. He told me that his reading group is reading a book about a drunk driver that hit their kid and the driver got a ticket. I wish I was told their learning about this. I think it's one of those subjects I should discuss with him at home. Drinking is a subject where parents beliefs play an important role in their discussion on this topic.
Plus whenever I ask ds how school was he says "boring" and that he learned nothing. So normally this may not have come out until months later.
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyAmaranth
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I'd like to know if it's a heavy subject that my son may have questions or worries over.

Whether told by school or son doesn't matter but I'd hope to be informed.

mickstinator
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM
4 moms liked this

i don't know, drunk driving isn't a subjective topic. i mean, drinking is a subjective topic, but not drinking and driving. i don't really see anything wrong with that. 

a similar comparison would be mentioning gun safety at a school. it's not diving into the politics of guns or gun ownership. just good citizenship.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Well, DH is a DUI enforcement officer and a drug recognition expert. So drugs, alcohol, laws and consequences, even deaths, are all pretty normal topics in our house.
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Ds normally doesn't tell me what's going on in school. It's usually "boring" and they did nothing. I'm glad he did mention it so we could have a conversation about it.

Quoting LadyAmaranth:

I'd like to know if it's a heavy subject that my son may have questions or worries over.

Whether told by school or son doesn't matter but I'd hope to be informed.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't mind that he's learning about it. I just wish I was told so I could discuss it with ds. I explained that drunk driving could kill someone and if the driver was alive they would go to jail for a very long time. I don't want him thinking getting a ticket is all that would happen.

Quoting mickstinator:

i don't know, drunk driving isn't a subjective topic. i mean, drinking is a subjective topic, but not drinking and driving. i don't really see anything wrong with that. 

a similar comparison would be mentioning gun safety at a school. it's not diving into the politics of guns or gun ownership. just good citizenship.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I agree with this.

Quoting mickstinator:

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM
I have honestly never thought about talking to him about it. We've had discussions when they have D.A.R.E. speakers at school. I don't mind it being talked about, I just wish I was told because it's something that's my responsibility to talk to him about

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: Well, DH is a DUI enforcement officer and a drug recognition expert. So drugs, alcohol, laws and consequences, even deaths, are all pretty normal topics in our house.
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Yes I would want to know.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Wouldn't bother me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilliesValley
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
What other view point can you have besides drunk driving is wrong? I'm sorry I'm not getting this one and why your beliefs would be that different.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN