Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Math Enrichment Resource?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:28 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hi all!  My daughter is in 2nd grade and LOVES math.  She gets weekly enrichment at school and I am looking for any resources that are similar in nature.  Not your typical workbook, but a variety of problem solving type problems that make her think and use what she knows to solve problems.  Variety would be good.  She often wants to do math for fun, but picks up a math workbook and does stuff she can already do, or is pretty rote.  She taught herself multiplication this past summer and is also playing with division, and is really intersted in numbers that are not divisible by certain numbers and why.  She really likes to figure out how numbers work in relation to one another.  I don't want her to get too far ahead in computation and typical math, as that will make her bored in class, but I do know that by her just playing around with numbers, she is figuring out a lot of what is about to be taught.   Anyone have any resources that are good?

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM
we use xtramath.org
My 2nd grader likes it ok.but since his account is through school I don't know much about it
He's never needed my help :/
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I homeschool but I love this company.  They tend to really make kids think.  I haven't tried their math yet though.

http://www.criticalthinking.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?grade%5B%5D=115&subject%5B%5D=121

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Thanks!  I will give that a try.  I really prefer she is in books and not on websites, so this will be perfect.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I homeschool but I love this company.  They tend to really make kids think.  I haven't tried their math yet though.

http://www.criticalthinking.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?grade%5B%5D=115&subject%5B%5D=121

knickoelle
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:32 AM

http://www.ixl.com/

This is a great site for both math and language arts. My kids school has even begun using this sight for weekly supplemental work.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Some math websites have worksheets you can print out so she can use her writing skills as well as technology skills.  Google free math worksheets in whichever area you want.

kryjen
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I think Kakooma number puzzles are fun, and so are Sudoku puzzles.  My students love doing them for enrichment activities.  Also, check out Greg Tang's website for some other neat printables or online games.

abmaddox1981
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Xtramath and aleksmath. I don't remember the exact websites, but they'll show up when you do a search.
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Thanks,  She has used iXL, but once again, that just gets her further ahead, which causes issues and then she is bored in class.  I am looking for things that can enhance her math skills in other ways, like flexible thinking, problem solving, etc.  Her rote skills are already quite a bit ahead and she is getting nearly 100% on unit pre-tests, so she doesn't really need the extra practice that most online programs provide.  I am more looking for enrichment rather than practice.

Quoting knickoelle:

http://www.ixl.com/

This is a great site for both math and language arts. My kids school has even begun using this sight for weekly supplemental work.

Pnukey
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:28 PM

www.edhelper.com is not free, but it's pretty cheap. It has a ton of fun worksheets of varying levels, so you can pick which ones she does.

There are some free worksheets on the site if you want to check it out first before subscribing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)