Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

book recommendations?

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM
  • 18 Replies

I'm looking for some good chapter books for a 6 year old who is reading at a 4th grade level.

by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Hardy boys? Tom sawyer? Any non fiction books about his present interests, etc.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM
James Patterson has some great books.

Big Nate, Zombiekins, Clue 39 (I think that's the name), Goosebumps, Bad Kitty
LadyAmaranth
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM

The Great Brain, Magic Tree house series.

hk2kids
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 10:06 AM

A Series of Unfortunate Events

39 Clues

Hank Zipzer (Written by Henry Winkler)

Artemis Fowl

Drea_84
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Your 6 year old is in the EXACT same situation as mine.. I look at scholastic.com, you can look them up by RL.. Good luck!

.Angelica.
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM

oh, that's a good idea. Thanks!

Quoting Drea_84:

Your 6 year old is in the EXACT same situation as mine.. I look at scholastic.com, you can look them up by RL.. Good luck!

yo_ho
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this
One of my son's teachers gave me a huge list. I'll have to dig it up. Magic tree house, bad kitty, percy jackson, harry potter, narnia. Those my oldest have flown through. Except harry potter, I guess the fourth book is pretty dark. Oh, deltora quest, captain underpants, flat stanley. Books by ronald dahl.

There's also ones that are titled "Frankenstein doesn't play hocky" or something along those lines. Its a whole series, I just can't remember the name. Magic school bus.

All those have gotten us up to third grade.
StephanieSH
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins
StephanieSH
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM

4th grade level according to what test?  Not all reading tests are created equal, so I would err on the 3rd - mid 3rd  grade level to ensure she is building really deep reading skills.  My DD tests at a 4.6 on a STAR test, but only mid 3rd grade on teh DRA, so we typically stick in that area. 

Animal Ark is a great series, Beverly Cleary books, the Merlin Magic Treehouse books (the others are early 3rd grade or late 2nd grade level), Nancy Drew Clue Crew, Humphrey the hamster, roald Dahl.

Also, while a 6 year old can read well, does not mean they should not read the fun, early chapter books or that they will want to leave those behind.  DD is a fabulous reader, but really loves to still read some of the easier books for fun as the content is what appeals to her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)