Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Frustrated

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 6 Replies

I am so frustrated right now!

I have been having problems with my son since last year. He is in 1st grade this year.

He is failing all of his spelling and reading tests he is behind in his reading and I don't know what more I can do.

Every day during the week he comes home and gets a snack and he usually has reading and math/spelling homework. So we do that...

I make his spelling list into flashcards and I hold them up and he has to sound out the word and write the word down correctly.

We also read 2-3 books together a night.. and he also has a leapfrog TAG system and a Vtech Vreader that we use for reading and spelling every night as well. I am very on the ball with extra help and I feel like I am physically doing all that I can to help him.

I suspect that he may be dyslexic but they will not test him til he is better on his reading because he has to be able to understand the questions on his test.

I don't know what more I can do. I am mentally drained from taking care of my mother in law for the last 5 weeks... and I still manage to do all of this every night during the week...but it isn't helping. Every week he brings home is spelling and reading tests and they are F's.. I don't get it!

Does anyone have any suggestions! He is 6!

sarcasm

I feel like I am failing him as a parent!!!!

I am meeting with his teacher today for a conference she told me on the phone last night that he is doing great in all other areas except phonics/reading and spelling.. so we're going to go over some things and make a plan as to what needs to happen to get him up to speed. I am nervous as so what she has to say. I don't like to see him struggling so much!

by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Drea_84
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:55 PM

My daughter is 6 as well.. I downloaded an app for my phone and Ipod. It is called "spell test" I put in her words and pronounce them. She loves it!

GwenMB
by Gwen on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I hope the teacher has good suggestions for you!

meam4444
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I hope your meeting with the teacher goes well!  It seems like you are doing everything in your power to help him.

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 12, 2013 at 9:51 PM

My son wasn't reading until he was 7, and he later tested as G&T. IMO, I think there is some brain development and growth that has to happen before we can read, and I think some kids have that development sooner than others.

Just keep working with him. It will benefit him in the long run. Once my son was able to read, he was on par with his peers that were reading earlier because we continued working on that foundation of letters and sounds.

Nichole31385
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks all!

I went and met with his teacher yesterday and she explained to me that he has basically had no growth in the area of spelling or reading in the last month or so since we last met and developed the plan that we have now

So basically.. she wants to have him tested for an IEP and that will pull him out of class for tests so he will be isolated and by himself whenever he takes a test so that he can concentrate give him more one on one time with a specialized teacher who can determine what works for him.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Dec. 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I hope the meeting goes well for you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)