Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7yr old cutting :0

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM
  • 10 Replies
My son is 7, yesterday he tells me he was cuttin his arm in school so he could draw a picture of his arm all cut up. No marks left but scared the crap outta me, i emailed his teacher to let her know to keep a close eye on him n sharp objects and also emailed the schiol counslor so he can.touch base with my son about it. I kept my calm n left it small talk to my son n made sure to let him kniw he cant n shouldnt do that. But i want him to be able to tell me things like that in case later he does it again. Id rather him b straight forward about it then hide.. but im freaked out inside. No lil one should ever think want or do such a thing..
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Yikes!  I hope he thought it was fun (for some weird reason) and not that he's cutting himself due to any issue.

Clemency3
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:54 PM

yikes...that certainly is a red flag but sounds like you are doing all you can in order to watch over it. when my son was on medication for ADHD he ended up becoming suicidal at just 5 years old. That to me told me we should take him off the meds and thankfully is back to his happy self. So I can relate to how it feels towards things like that. Certainly is scary. 

cbear2
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Yikes! Glad ur lo is vack to happy self. I been really consisering bringin my son dr's his mood swings put pregnancy moods to shame lol. Im jus very sketchy about them medicating him. I cant stand the idea of medicating children:(

Quoting Clemency3:

yikes...that certainly is a red flag but sounds like you are doing all you can in order to watch over it. when my son was on medication for ADHD he ended up becoming suicidal at just 5 years old. That to me told me we should take him off the meds and thankfully is back to his happy self. So I can relate to how it feels towards things like that. Certainly is scary. 

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM

My DH is bipolar.  He started cutting when he was six (and still does).  I'm not saying that to scare you.  I'm just pointing out that it happens.  It may be a good idea to take him in to talk to a professional.  It is rare for it to start that young, but it does happen.

Clemency3
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 5:21 PM

yea at the time we felt there was no option but to medicate in combination with therapy...but once we saw the effects of one drug we said.."ok never again..." he is 9 now and he insanely difficult but I prefer him to be happy, alive and difficult as opposed to drugged..depressed and possibly dead. 

Quoting cbear2: Yikes! Glad ur lo is vack to happy self. I been really consisering bringin my son dr's his mood swings put pregnancy moods to shame lol. Im jus very sketchy about them medicating him. I cant stand the idea of medicating children:(

Quoting Clemency3:

cbear2
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes agree 100000%

Quoting Clemency3:

yea at the time we felt there was no option but to medicate in combination with therapy...but once we saw the effects of one drug we said.."ok never again..." he is 9 now and he insanely difficult but I prefer him to be happy, alive and difficult as opposed to drugged..depressed and possibly dead. 

Quoting cbear2: Yikes! Glad ur lo is vack to happy self. I been really consisering bringin my son dr's his mood swings put pregnancy moods to shame lol. Im jus very sketchy about them medicating him. I cant stand the idea of medicating children:(

Quoting Clemency3:

cbear2
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 9:41 PM
I been curious about bipolar with him. Idk much about it i beleive part of it is mood changes (beyond the norm)? My son can b happy goofin off n then click hes dead serious pissed off. N then boom he snaps back like nothing ever bothered him. He does this any n everywhere with no ryme or reason.

Quoting SouthernMamaof1:

My DH is bipolar.  He started cutting when he was six (and still does).  I'm not saying that to scare you.  I'm just pointing out that it happens.  It may be a good idea to take him in to talk to a professional.  It is rare for it to start that young, but it does happen.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Dec. 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Have your son tested for food allergies/sensitivities. My 5 yo used to have mood swings where he'd change at the drop of a hat. Once we tested him and put him on a gluten, peanut and soy free diet, he improved a lot. He's still moody, but much easier to manage.

Quoting cbear2: I been curious about bipolar with him. Idk much about it i beleive part of it is mood changes (beyond the norm)? My son can b happy goofin off n then click hes dead serious pissed off. N then boom he snaps back like nothing ever bothered him. He does this any n everywhere with no ryme or reason.

Quoting SouthernMamaof1:

cbear2
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM
I will look into that:) thank u! Woulda never thought about food:)
Dodie702
by Doriane on Dec. 12, 2013 at 11:17 PM
That's very scary. You do the right thing to notify his teacher and his counselor. Hopefully he'll get the help he needs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)