Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Integrated school?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:05 PM
  • 17 Replies

My family and I are relocating a few towns over and we have two options for schooling. I can choose your traditional schooling where the kids switch classes every year, get new classmates and teacher, and everyone be taught pretty much the same. Or I can choose an Integrated program. DD would stay with the same teach for 2 years. She's in 2nd grade now so this would most affect her next year for the 3/4 integration. The school is more into the arts as well. "The goal of the Integrated Day program is to develop students who have curious inquisitive minds". I am at such a loss as to which one to pick! Has anyone else done the Integrated programs?

You don't  scare me, I have two daughters!!

twin girls

by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoanahLee
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I am so pessimistic about the current school system, id be super excited to try the new program.  If it sucks you can always transfer to the regular school. 

yo_ho
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM
I would do integration if my kid needed more of a challenge. I don't have any experience though, just going off the description.
Irishmommy860
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I am a pessimist about her current school style as well. This new one sounds amazing and I've been looking at it for a few months. I just know that around here this Integrated education isn't common so I came to my favorite place for some insight on how this would really work. I know they work more with arts in all of the learning, and the kids kind of make up the way their days will go. It seems so freeing compared to current schooling, but is it TOO freeing?

You are very right that we can change. I pretty much have the same view as you. 

Quoting JoanahLee:

I am so pessimistic about the current school system, id be super excited to try the new program.  If it sucks you can always transfer to the regular school. 

twin girls

JoanahLee
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it being too freeing. I hope my kids end up in a job where their creativity is valued and if they recognize that things are not working and have ideas about how to make it better they will be free to implement those new ideas, no afraid to speak up because the system works the way it works, you know.  I know thats a big leap from the way a second grade class is structured, but I just ache for my boys (9 and 12) and how their school experience is more closely related to being herded around like cattle than caring and compassionate education.

Quoting Irishmommy860:

I am a pessimist about her current school style as well. This new one sounds amazing and I've been looking at it for a few months. I just know that around here this Integrated education isn't common so I came to my favorite place for some insight on how this would really work. I know they work more with arts in all of the learning, and the kids kind of make up the way their days will go. It seems so freeing compared to current schooling, but is it TOO freeing?

Quoting JoanahLee:

Irishmommy860
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM

We definately share the same opinion!! I wish all kids had  the option of the Integrated HOT program.  You would never know there was another way of educating by the way this country runs their schools. I ache for the kids of tomorrow. Thank You for putting into words how I feel. Cattle being herded..

Quoting JoanahLee:

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it being too freeing. I hope my kids end up in a job where their creativity is valued and if they recognize that things are not working and have ideas about how to make it better they will be free to implement those new ideas, no afraid to speak up because the system works the way it works, you know.  I know thats a big leap from the way a second grade class is structured, but I just ache for my boys (9 and 12) and how their school experience is more closely related to being herded around like cattle than caring and compassionate education.

Quoting Irishmommy860:

Quoting JoanahLee:

twin girls

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

If you think the children would like the integrated set up, no harm in trying that and if it does not work out, go to the other school.   Our school is traditional but so far dd has been with the same classmates each year aside from any new students that move here.  All the students kknow all the teachers usually if they start in kindergarten and move up the grades.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I've heard good things about kids having the same teacher for 2 years (the teacher & kids not having to learn about each other at the beginning of the 2nd year, for example).  But it could also be hard if your child doesn't click with that teacher (and I suppose if there is a child that gives your child a lot of trouble).  At least when they switch every year, you just have to get through one year.

I'd be giving the integrated school a very serious look, though.

Irishmommy860
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I think it would be good for my oldest for these reasons. She has ADHD, learns different then her peers and the school has a hard time accomodating it(she's actually a more free spirited thinker), and her anxiety makes changes hard for her. You're right on the negatives. I would hope they would switch teachers if they didn't mesh well. As far as kids, unless they are seriously bullying she needs to learn to get over that obstacle of " not everyone likes me". We went through it last year, but this year she's doing rather well with her peers. :) I only have 3 weeks to decide what which way we're going!

Quoting GwenMB:

I've heard good things about kids having the same teacher for 2 years (the teacher & kids not having to learn about each other at the beginning of the 2nd year, for example).  But it could also be hard if your child doesn't click with that teacher (and I suppose if there is a child that gives your child a lot of trouble).  At least when they switch every year, you just have to get through one year.

twin girls

GwenMB
by Gwen on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Yeah, bullying is the only reason I'd want a switch made - they do need to learn to get along with everyone.

Quoting Irishmommy860:

I think it would be good for my oldest for these reasons. She has ADHD, learns different then her peers and the school has a hard time accomodating it(she's actually a more free spirited thinker), and her anxiety makes changes hard for her. You're right on the negatives. I would hope they would switch teachers if they didn't mesh well. As far as kids, unless they are seriously bullying she needs to learn to get over that obstacle of " not everyone likes me". We went through it last year, but this year she's doing rather well with her peers. :) I only have 3 weeks to decide what which way we're going!

Quoting GwenMB:

Pnukey
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

When the kids stay with the same teacher for 2 years, they get to skip the beginning of the year get-to-know-you time the 2nd year and get so much more done. I'd go with that program.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)