Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

When does your child's school keep them inside for recess?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:41 PM
  • 65 Replies

At my son's school, they go outside in the winter unless its below 0* windchill.  We've had about a week of winchills below 0* - and for much of it, the actual air temp was also below 0*.  I think our high for yesterday was 0.  So there has been lots of indoor recess (thank goodness they still get to run around & play in the gym so they are still active).

Today we've been up to at least 23*.  It feels so nice out! LOL!  The kids loved getting to play outside for recess - I happened to see my son as he was going in - hat covered in snow, coat & snow pants wet from playing on the snow hill (the snow plowed off the parking lot).

Someone on another post said her kids stay in if its below 25 (state law).  I'm really glad we don't have that law - they would rarely get to play outside during the winter & would have missed this gorgeous day.

What's the policy at your child's school for when they stay inside during the winter?  What do they do when they have to stay in - do they still play in the gym or are they in the classroom doing quieter activities?

October is Celiac Awareness Month - undiagnosed Celiac disease is a risk factor for miscarriages & a cause of unexplained infertility. Only 1 out of every 5-6 people with Celiacs have been diagnosed.  csaceliacs.org, celiac.com National Foundation for Celiac Awareness

Gwen (43) David (56) Augie (6.5) Alex (4.5)

by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM

If it is icy or if the windchill is too much.   I think it is up to each teachers discretion since their indoor recess would be in the classroom when the teachers usually do their planning for next lesson.

Clemency3
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Ours go out unless it is raining and so forth. I am not sure what temperature it has to be to stay in..haven't heard of one. 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I'm not sure what our icy policy is - but there must be one since much of the recess time is on the parking lot pavement (driving on the parking lot isn't allowed during school hours).  It may be at the recess attendant's discretion.

Quoting frndlyfn:

If it is icy or if the windchill is too much.   I think it is up to each teachers discretion since their indoor recess would be in the classroom when the teachers usually do their planning for next lesson.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM

What state are you in?

We obviously don't go out in the rain, either. Not sure when (if) snow falling keeps them inside.  Snow is ok if it isn't being blown in your face too hard - but if it is, the windchill may be too low anyway.

Quoting Clemency3:

Ours go out unless it is raining and so forth. I am not sure what temperature it has to be to stay in..haven't heard of one. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM

They even go out when it is rainy but then can not play on the equipment.

Quoting GwenMB:

I'm not sure what our icy policy is - but there must be one since much of the recess time is on the parking lot pavement (driving on the parking lot isn't allowed during school hours).  It may be at the recess attendant's discretion.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Clemency3
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I went to the same school as my daughter and I remember the letting us out when it snowed (not like blizzard snow but just regular) so I am not sure if they still do that or not. I live in PA

Quoting GwenMB:

What state are you in?

We obviously don't go out in the rain, either. Not sure when (if) snow falling keeps them inside.  Snow is ok if it isn't being blown in your face too hard - but if it is, the windchill may be too low anyway.

Quoting Clemency3:

SciFiMama91
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM
If it's raining.
LadyAmaranth
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Icy, severe rain, red flag days(bad air quality), kids are naughty.

soymujer
by Mikki on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM

The temp including windchill has to be like 30 I think. 

family in the van   Mom of four

RitaTequila531
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Snow, rain and severe weather
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)