Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

For those that don't use Elf on the Shelf.....

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM
  • 85 Replies
1 mom liked this

Have you felt that others automatically think you are against it?  Or you are not in the Christmas spirit?

I replied to several posts about it saying that we don't do it because we don't see a need for it and, being honest, I also didn't want to have to remember every night to move the elf to a different spot.  Sure, call me lazy but we already have our traditions that are in place and we have a lot of fun without the elf.  The kids have never asked for it either.  Once I said this, several people started defending themselves and the reasons they use it.  Great.....have your elf....enjoy the time.....but I'm not against you or the elf so, relax people.  Also, just because I don't use it doesn't mean I don't like Christmas.  mmmmkay?

Has anyone felt this way?

My point.....whether you use it or not.......people have their reasons and just because someone doesn't use it doesn't mean they don't like the elf thing or they are not in the christmas spirit. 

by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Nope no one thinks anything of us not having one.  Just not one of our traditions.

luvmybug
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I think it's a cute idea, but I don't use it.
melissa632
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I actually never even heard of it until about 2 years ago here on CM. My kids don't believe in Santa anymore, so there's really no point.
toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM
My MIL was annoyed that I didn't want one, but that's the only person who has commented on me not having one.
LadyAmaranth
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Nope, no one has questioned me about it.

Only time I even have said I don't and won't have one is if a topic question is asked.

SweetMama823
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Same here.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Nope no one thinks anything of us not having one.  Just not one of our traditions.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shani527
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I never even heard of it until last year. So no, we dont. But lo and behold my mil has two that she sits on the tree as a decoration. Shes had them for as long as she can remember didnt even know what they were
NYGiantsFan
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I'd never known about it either until a few months ago. It's not something we've ever done, and I don't understand why someone would be judgmental about another family's traditions (or lack thereof). It seems to go against the holiday "spirit" when someone is critical. Just take the high road... say it's not something you do, and then change the subject. :)

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:42 PM

my mom had a figure that looked like it but the elf was holding a coca cola bottle and she would sit him on our children's size rocker for holidays LOL.

Quoting Shani527: I never even heard of it until last year. So no, we dont. But lo and behold my mil has two that she sits on the tree as a decoration. Shes had them for as long as she can remember didnt even know what they were

Trixie-n-Moon
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never been asked about it. I didn't even know about it until this year and I think my kids are getting a bit old for us to start it at this point. They don't believe in Santa anymore.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN