Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

For moms who work outside the home

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 8:52 PM
  • 33 Replies
Do you get to take any time off over the holidays to spend with your family? I have Christmas week off. My husband has to work.
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM

It depends on how much vacation time I have available and whether or not I need time off in the upcoming future. 

I am thinking about taking either the two days before Christmas or the two days after Christmas off. I should probably decide on the exact days sometime tomorrow to put in an official request with my supervisor.

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 8:57 PM
I might decide to work the Monday, just because I could use the time later, but I so don't want to.

Quoting Barabell:

It depends on how much vacation time I have available and whether or not I need time off in the upcoming future. 

I am thinking about taking either the two days before Christmas or the two days after Christmas off. I should probably decide on the exact days sometime tomorrow to put in an official request with my supervisor.

Mom2Tabitha
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 8:58 PM

No.  In order to be sure I could be off for a trip I had to agree to work on Christmas day a few hours. But the trip to MD with a White House visit was totally worth it. 

kellysp6637
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I took Christmas week off....I also take every other Friday off from work.

foltzy
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I get to spend 2 weeks with my kids over Christmas. My husband has to work. I'm a teacher, he's a cook.
JTROX
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I get almost the same time off as my boys.

DH has to work, but still has a few vacation days left to take by the end of the year.

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Usually, I haven't taken any time off because we don't go anywhere and we usually don't have any family visiting. But my sister moved to another state just under a year ago, and this will be her first visit back here since moving. So I think taking the extra days will be worth it. 

It's just hard to plan because my mom told me she MIGHT take me on a long vacation in June. So I want to not use up too much time. Yet, I don't want to miss out while my sister is in town.

So--like you--I'm really struggling with what decision to make.

Are you saving up your time for something over the upcoming year?

Quoting Impressionists: I might decide to work the Monday, just because I could use the time later, but I so don't want to.

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not saving it for a big trip. I use it on small chunks for school plays and the like. There never seems to be enough time. I'd like to take spring break off and a week in the summer , even without plans.

Quoting Barabell:

Usually, I haven't taken any time off because we don't go anywhere and we usually don't have any family visiting. But my sister moved to another state just under a year ago, and this will be her first visit back here since moving. So I think taking the extra days will be worth it. 

It's just hard to plan because my mom told me she MIGHT take me on a long vacation in June. So I want to not use up too much time. Yet, I don't want to miss out while my sister is in town.

So--like you--I'm really struggling with what decision to make.

Are you saving up your time for something over the upcoming year?

Quoting Impressionists: I might decide to work the Monday, just because I could use the time later, but I so don't want to.

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I hear you. It's always a balancing act. I also like to take some time off to spend with my kid when he's out of school. Even if we don't go out of town, I try to find some fun activities locally. My son is active in sports, so I usually have to take a few days off for tournament weekends because it's just too hard to get everything done when you work full time and are gone all weekend.

Quoting Impressionists: I'm not saving it for a big trip. I use it on small chunks for school plays and the like. There never seems to be enough time. I'd like to take spring break off and a week in the summer , even without plans.

Quoting Barabell:
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM
I get 4 days of paid holiday time so I will need to take 6 days of vacation to get 2 weeks off.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)