Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

frustrated with the school in general

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: A valid concern or Over involved Mom?

Options:

concern

not concerning

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 22

View Results

Hi,

This may be me being picky, but I have some gripes with the school.

My daughter started third grade this year. Up until this year her teachers had been amazing! Very active with the parents if they had any concerns etc...

This year, however, I honestly think her teacher is...well, is not the best at what she is teaching. She is lovely and answers any question I have via email. Parents of third graders and up are supposed to drop or pick up their kids by the outside doors so that they can learn independence (sp?). I think that is stupid honestly. The first form the teacher sent home had 8 typos and grammar mistakes in it. There is this thing called spell check!! Same issues with other forms. Her PE teachers are teaching the kids about nutrition this week and giving absolutely in-accurate information. I am baffled and wonder where do they get their information. According to my daughter, they said beans (legumes) are a sometimes food. What???

The school has no email listed to contact administration, The class websites don't have emails to reach to the teachers directly. I was given an email address by a previous teacher who thougt that would work. But guess what? It came back to me and said it couldn't be delivered. The school is shitty structurally, their priorities are way off and there isn't sufficient security measures in place .

Am I just being a *enter descriptive word* or is it a valid concern?

by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 1:41 PM

What kind of school is this?  The pickup/responsibility thing seems fine and not a big deal to me.  If only one form at the beginning of school came to me kind of off, then I would not be concerned.  What PE does or doesn't teach also makes zero difference to me.  Is the school following curriculum standards for math, reading, and writing.  This is where I would be concentrating my efforts.  KWIM

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Dec. 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I think those concerns are things you should address with the school. But I don't think any of what you are describing makes the school or the teacher bad in general. 

I am a teacher and I am horrible at proofreading. I always have sometime check letters I send home, but I am sure mistakes still slip though. It's unprofessional of her to send home letters with multiple mistakes, but I don't think that one flaw makes her an ineffective teacher. Some very intelligent people are just terrible spellers. 

I think you should ask the PE teaceher about the health curriculum. Just because your daughter thought he said legumes were a sometimes food that doesn't mean it's exactly what was taught. She could have misunderstood. Plus, legumes are high in carbohydrates and sodium so they should be eaten moderation. 

I agree with the pick up and drop off policy. That isn't the right time to address your concerns with the teacher anyway. She is supervising students at those times and can't speak with you right then. But that doesn't mean you can't schedule an appointment for a later time to discuss everything with her. 

mommy053008
by Maria on Dec. 14, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I would be concerned about most of those things. Drop off/pick up doesn't bother me one bit but the no security is a big deal to me.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the lack of communication and ways to reach the school is a valid concern. Does the school have a PTO/PTA or site council that you could become involved in? Sometimes schools rely on parent volunteers to help in areas that they are understaffed in. For example, our quarterly newsletters from the school is completely done by the school's PTO.

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this
The lack of communication is a concern. I think that your gut instinct is correct. It doesn't sound like they have it together.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Our school has kindergarten and up wait by their classroom doors before school. I would see if i could schedule meetings with the teachers I have concerns with.  Our PE teacher has an open door policy which means any time your child has their class, you can come in and watch.   Did you go to school for nutrition and have a degree? Most teachers go off the national website for nutrition and teach off that.  Go to the front desk and ask for an email to contract principal or anyone else of concern.   It just sounds like the school is a bit disorganized.

LadyAmaranth
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:33 PM

None of those things bug me.

I wouldn't like not having a way to get into contact with them aside from phone call or go in. Not always easy to do if you're working during times they're there.

Clemency3
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Well I do not see anything wrong with dropping off at the outside doors. My first grader gets dropped off in the parking lot and walks a good distance to the door where a Teacher is waiting. Independence is something for third graders to learn and with my third grader this year I have changed up how I do things so he can learn some independence and responsibility. This is the year where their maturity should take a shift. So I wouldn't worry about that.

When it comes to the letters, yes I agree that the professionals should be able to communicate formally and respectively to the parents. That just shows a lack of disrespect and not caring. In terms of the curriculum (in health class) that is something you have to take up with the school board to get changed if you feel it needs changing. But I have found that aside from health class..even history lessons are not taught accurately and that is where parenting comes into play. We have corrected a few mistakes our children have learned. 

othermom
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 8:50 PM

none of those would bother me. Maybe security depending on the area.

CheerCoachKim
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Based on the complaints that you listed in your post I wouldn't consider those to be extremely concerning. 

Dropping them off outside of the school doesn't seem like that big of a deal in 3rd grade. 3rd grade is a good time to learn independence, and for the most part the children can handle it at that age. My daughter is in the 3rd grade, and I coached a cheerleading squad with 25 2nd and 3rd graders this year. Beleive it or not the maturity level between age 7 and age 8 is fairly significant.

As for the lack of communication, I would suggest going into the school and speaking with administration or the school counselor to get the information needed to contact the teacher directly. 

As for what they are teaching in PE that has nothing to do with the teacher. 

It sounds to me like you may need to understand how the school itself works a little bit better. Do you, or have you ever volunteered at the school on any level?

The past two years I haven't been as involved with the school because once they hit 2nd grade in my DD's school they require less parent involvement. However, in 1st grade I was at the school at least one day a week usually more. Her teacher was letting me help run a center on days that they class had centers. It really helped me to understand how the school works a little bit better, and left less questions. I understand that working parents don't always have the time to spend a great deal of time at the school, but I will say that it puts your mind at ease.

What type of security measures does the school take? Are you sure that you are completely familiar with their proceedures? Are there cameras at the door or a buzz in entry in the school? Do all outside doors lock from the outside needing a code to get back in?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)