Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

its too cold to play outside?? weird.

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 85 Replies
my SDs school made the kids have "indoor" recess friday because it was "too cold" to play outside...was it chilly? yes. low 40s I would say. no rain, no sleet, no snow. sunny day. It does occasionally get below freezing here, we do occasionally get freezing rain but snow is like amazingly rare. I just thought it was odd, what about all the 1000s of kids who live in heavy snow areas? do they have "indoor recess" all winter? I doubt it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy053008
by Maria on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM

awwww my DD had indoor recess all last week because of rain. WE ARE SO TIRED OF RAIN!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
IAMmomtotrips
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM
I'm in ga and they do this all the time! But I get the nasty looks because my kids are hot natured (unlike there momma), and they HATE being bundled up, so it's a fight every morning to get them to wear a coat. So I've quit fighting it, they have to take the coat, but im not fighting it for the two seconds it takes to walk in.

Heck, my ice skating kid start lessons in a tights, a Leo, jacket, and gloves and maybe warmup pants...but the end, she's wear just the short sleeve Leo & tights!
caligirl7613
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM
thankfully that hasnt been too much of an issue so fr this year, but we generally get alot of rain in feb. Im originally from CA so i am not generally used to "winter weather" but people here in north alabama tend to totally over react imo. if they even PREDICT a SLIGHT chance of freezing rain or ice the schools shut down, along with everything else. a few years ago we actually got snow..a whole 2 inches....everything was shut down for a week. including walmart. walmart NEVER shuts down. there was a mass panic to buy bread, water, milk etc.

Quoting mommy053008:

awwww my DD had indoor recess all last week because of rain. WE ARE SO TIRED OF RAIN!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:57 AM

When the temps are below 20 we stay in doors. We'd never stay in for 40s.

xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM
In MN and IA temp didn't mean too much. As long as you had hat/gloves/coat you could play outside; if you didn't have boots you couldn't play in the snow, but could still play on the (plowed) blacktop. I'm not sure what DS's school's rules are, but they seem to be roughly the same (in MI) - dress for the weather and they'll let you out.

Maybe appropriate dress was their issue. DS said they had indoor recess because it was too cold one day, but a few days later they were out playing in colder weather so I'm pretty sure they just meant “it's too cold for you guys to go out dressed as you are“ or something to that effect.
mommy053008
by Maria on Dec. 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM

that's too funny! we are in TN =) well technically GA but I'm on the TN/GA line and my DD goes to a TN school.

Quoting caligirl7613: thankfully that hasnt been too much of an issue so fr this year, but we generally get alot of rain in feb. Im originally from CA so i am not generally used to "winter weather" but people here in north alabama tend to totally over react imo. if they even PREDICT a SLIGHT chance of freezing rain or ice the schools shut down, along with everything else. a few years ago we actually got snow..a whole 2 inches....everything was shut down for a week. including walmart. walmart NEVER shuts down. there was a mass panic to buy bread, water, milk etc.

Quoting mommy053008:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM

It has to be below 10* (air and/or wind chill) here before they call indoor recess, or raining. If there is snow on the ground, they have to have snowpants and boots to play in it; if they don't, they have to stay on the plowed blacktop.

JCKitten87
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Our schools only do indoor recess in bad weather/ extreme temps, but 40s in the winter here are nice days
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Dec. 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

In FL we do indoor play at like 60 degrees. Obviously it's still warm enough for kids to play outside, but many of the kids don't come to school dressed appropriately. So every region has different standards for sure. 

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM

This was my thought also. I live in Ga and there are notes constantly being sent home about how the weather is changing and children are still not wearing the right attire for the season. So I would think that would be the reason for indoor play even though it may be okay for kids to play outside.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

In FL we do indoor play at like 60 degrees. Obviously it's still warm enough for kids to play outside, but many of the kids don't come to school dressed appropriately. So every region has different standards for sure. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)