Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Bad day advice

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM
  • 10 Replies

My first grade son is having a bad day at school.  So bad that his teacher called me during recess to see if I knew why (bad night sleep etc).  He was upset that a friend brought birthday treats & they aren't gluten free, mad that he didn't get to go to his brother's preschool Christmas program (I didn't know I needed to go get him, and I didn't know he wanted to go, he wasn't sure when I asked) & overall just having a bad day.

I need to talk to him about how not everyone can (and will) accomodate his need for gluten free food (he is new to this, so its a learning process).  (I also need to get gluten free treats in the freezer at school for these occasions. I'll do that tomorrow.)

How else would you handle this?  This isn't normal behavior for him at all - which is part of why his teacher was calling.

October is Celiac Awareness Month - undiagnosed Celiac disease is a risk factor for miscarriages & a cause of unexplained infertility. Only 1 out of every 5-6 people with Celiacs have been diagnosed.  csaceliacs.org, celiac.com National Foundation for Celiac Awareness

Gwen (43) David (56) Augie (6.5) Alex (4.5)

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Is he getting enough sleep?  Going through a growth spurt?  Getting sick?  I would just chalk it up to the stress of the season.  The end of school is tough on everyone, couple that with the holidays and some people just don't handle it well.  Unless it's a pattern, I wouldn't worry.  Just be observant and make sure he's getting plenty of rest and nutrition.

Irishmommy860
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I'd snuggle up to him and have a talk. Explain it to him that not everyone needs to eat gluten free, but you will make sure he has options if it happens again. My DD didn't do first grade well at all..2nd grade has been amazing though and I guess this is common?

You don't  scare me, I have two daughters!!

twin girls

MommaTurbo
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Kids have grouchy, bad days just like the rest of us! If it lasts more than a day or two, i'd worry. Otherwise, just give him some loves and let him get over his grumps!

Stevensmomma
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Kids are like any other human they have bad days too I would just sit and explain things to him and can you get snacks to his class for when kids bring birthday treats in he can have something too?

mommy053008
by Maria on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM

AWw poor guy. The end of the first semester can be rough I hear (it's doing wonders for my daughter) if it was the first time he was in trouble I would just have a talk with him and just let him know it's unacceptable behavior.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Kids are always learning.  Most have a bad day at some point.  Sometimes it happens at school.

I think it would be best to just listen to him when he comes home.  Hear him out, ask him questions about what was happening before this or that incident, and before that.  Apologize for not having the foresight to make sure he would have treats on hand, and just hug him.  Think about how you want to be  treated when you have a day where nothing seems to go right and give him a little latitude.  Then, once he seems to be more like himself, talk to him about how to head off those feelings when they come on during school.  Let him brainstorm ways to help keep his anger in check, other options, how to let his teacher know he needs a moment, etc.  

gsae
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I have a 1st grade little and there are days where she will wake up and just seem kinda sad.  I ask her what is wrong and she will say nothing, she normally shakes it off by the time we get to the bus but a couple weeks ago she did take it to school with her and when she got home the teacher wrote a letter concerned because it is also not like my little one to be grumpy or upset.  I talked to her about how her feelings can effect others, we talked about what happen at school and times when she was upset toward others.  She told me that she didnt want her friends to think she was upset so we talked about how to control that, we talked about her asking for a time out from the teacher and also maybe reading her favorite book which she takes to school everyday in her backpack.  She loves to read and that gives her down time which seems to help.

Drea_84
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM
:( poor guy. I agree sounds like he needed a little bit longer sleep.. Sounds like he needs a little special mommy time and just lightly talk to him and explain some people forget that others have certain food limits
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Kids have bad days too.  Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day would be a good book to have on hand for days like this.  We eat gluten free, sugar free, etc and I always try to have things they can eat but sometimes I don't know to bring something.  I just give them a treat at home.  It can be tough though!  Give him a big hug and tell him tomorrow is a new day.  I wouldn't worry about one bad day here and there.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:00 AM
A great book is alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day....

Some days are just like that....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)