Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is this normal for a ten year old girl? What should I do?

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM
  • 48 Replies

I am married and have a ten year old son who is a great kid. He has a friend who is a girl who he has known for two years. This past year she has developed a crush on him (they are both in fifth grade) She started writing him notes, and then became more obsessive with writing him, maybe six notes a day. She would go into his backpack without his permission, go into his desk without his permission. The contents of the notes kind of surprised me. She would say things like "I will never stop loving you" "I don't like you talking to other girls" "Why won't you tell me that you love me" "I can't be without you" "I CANNOT be without you" "When will you make out with me" this girl just turned ten. My son is a very naive, innocent ten year old and he is super creeped out by this stuff and has never reciprocated any notes or feelings for her. He has asked her to stop, but she continues with the notes saying things like "You never cared about me, I will always love you"I don't know if this is normal ten year old stuff ? I have brought it to the teachers attention once, and he said it's "cute". Thanks for any help

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM
4 moms liked this

Not cute at all! It's a huge red flag. I would contact the school counselor ASAP. It's verging on stalking.

lilblu399
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM
4 moms liked this
I would go over the teacher's head and talk to the principal. I would also arrange a meeting with her parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I agree.  This screams Fatal Attraction to me.  This little girl needs help.

Quoting mjande4:

Not cute at all! It's a huge red flag. I would contact the school counselor ASAP. It's verging on stalking.

Jamie1972
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Not typical behavior. That girl is 1 step away from being a stalker. Talk to her parents if you can. Talk to the teacher again, more about this girl getting into your Ds things. If he doesn't do anything go over his head. My dd is 10, yes she has crushes. But hasn't acted on those feelings . Neither of her friends who are boy crazy act that way.

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Not normal at all. My kids are 10 and 13 and this isn't behavior either of then have shown, or that has been shown to them. I know pre-teen, and teen girls can be obsessive about, well anything, but this is going too far, especially if she's been asked to stop. I would bring it to the teachers attention again, and if that fails talk to the principal about your concerns. Your son should feel safe at school, and her actions are slightly scary. Has he kept proof of everything she's given, he might need it.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not attempt to contact/involve the girl's parents on your own.  The school counselor is trained in this area.  Definitely let the teacher know, but this is a counseling issue and that's who the teacher and/or the principal would contact first as well.

katiebug840204
by Katie on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Agreed

Quoting lilblu399: I would go over the teacher's head and talk to the principal. I would also arrange a meeting with her parents.
mommy053008
by Maria on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM

That is not cute...not even a little I would be talking with a school counselor, the teacher again or the principle. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
MommaCyn296
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:43 PM

No it is not cute!!!! If the teacher is taking it lightly,, make an apptmt with the principal! I had a similar situation when my youngest daughter was in the third grade. We took care of it quickly. The same boy now goes to her HS. No problems at all.

RMC007
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
You need to bring it to the teacher's attention again, and if that doesn't work, the principal's. I teach fourth grade, and I do deal,with a few crushes, but those type of notes are over the top.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN