Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is this funny or mean?

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM
  • 49 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you do this to your kid?

Options:

Yes, I'd do it, it's funny.

No way! It is just too mean.

It depends...(please tell me why if you pick this one.)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 94

View Results

My daughter is 10 years old and wants a 7" tablet for Christmas.  The budget has been tight and so I told her it was not in the budget so don't expect it. I did not want her to be disappointed.  

Fast forward to Thanksgiving. I was able to get one of the ones from Walmart for $49 (dual core, 8 gb memory expandable to more, with a camera that should do anything she will want to do on it.) SO, it should be a great surprise. I had to do the site to store to get it, but it has already arrived and I picked it up on Saturday.  As I was walking back to get it, I passed the stationary section. There was a 50 sheet PAPER tablet with the design of an electronic tablet as its motif.  I immediately thought it would be funny to have her open it for Christmas...and tell her she wanted a tablet...this is one I could afford. The electronic one will be the LAST gift she opens Christmas morning.  I plan to have it fully charged and have already loaded with apps I know she will like...so it will truly be ready to go out of the box.

Is it too mean to give her the paper tablet early on then have the real one as her final present?  I remember my dad doing stuff like this and as I considered doing it, it made me smile as I remembered him.  It reminded me of his twisted sense of humor.  

TO BE CLEAR...I would NEVER give her the paper one IN PLACE OF the electronic one, I think that is just cruel. But as a gag before she opens the real one....what do you think? Tabitha typically has a really cool sense of humor.

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Does she have the sense of humor to handle this type of thing?  I think it would be funny.

soymujer
by Mikki on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM

That'd be something my hubby would suggest doing!  In fact, I think we did it to our daughter.  She wanted a puppy one year so we bought a toy one that would bark and do things!

family in the van   Mom of four

jack90
by New Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM

hahaha do it doooo it loll its funny loll. my dad use to do things like that when i was young and always ended up happy after i seen the real thing and that would be something we would joke about over the years :D loll

CheerCoachKim
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I would totally do it!

Mom2Tabitha
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I just edited to note that Tabitha does typically have a good sense of humor.  But who knows with the preteen girl hormones ("horror"mones) starting to kick in. If I did not think she could handle it, I would NOT do it.

katiebug840204
by Katie on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I would def do it!
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

YES!  That is hysterically funny and I would do it in a heartbeat. 

I will never forget the Christmas that I was 16.  I asked for a Porsche 911 Carrera. My dad got me a very nice model of one to build.  lol

hemanclub
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I would do it:)

mickstinator
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:55 PM
I think it's funny!
valrubio
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:56 PM
My dad did stuff like that to me all the time growing up. We were best friends. I say if you have a good relationship with her, go ahead.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)