Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Define "gifted"

Posted by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 41 Replies
2 moms liked this
there have been a lot of posts about children being gifted and I thought it would be a good idea to have some of the teachers to define what exactly gifted means. I would also like to add I think all children have their own special unique gifts. We are all unique. I do not think being academically gifted necessarily makes one child better than another. I feel our values, beliefs and choices are what determines our quality of life as well as the attitude we choose to have in daily situations. So just to clear up all the confusion between "smart" and "gifted" can someone give an official definition of gifted.
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it's more than just being smart or catching on to things quickly. When both ds2 and dd were considered for the high ability class, we were sent a questionaire that I think covers a lot of what makes a child "gifted" as opposed to just really smart.

Advanced Language-

Uses words that seem advanced for the age-level expectations

Rewords own language for younger or less mature children

Explains how unrelated things are similar

Uses words for time concepts (clock and calendar) accurately

Uses similes, metaphors, or analogies: "A _____ is really like a _____ because _____"

Asks questions about words (in print or oral language)

Analytical Thinking-

Demonstrates complex or abstract thinking

Analyzes household or school tasks

Notices a surprising depth of details about surroundings

Takes apart and reassembles things or ideas with skill

Expresses relationships between past and present experiences

Makes up songs, stories, or riddles about experiences

Organizes collections of things uniquely; likes to plan or arrange things

Meaning Motivation-

Is philosophical

Asks surprisingly intellectual questions

Is curious; experiments

Demonstrates an unexpected depth of knowledge in one or more areas

Exhibits intense task commitment and energy when pursuing interests

Remembers!

Is independent

Perspective-

Explains another’s point of view

Shows dimension, angle, or perspective in art, writing, in art, math solutions, or problem solving

Creates complex shapes, patterns, or graphics

Applies left and right without prompting

Adds interesting details to enhance products

Sense of Humor-

Says or does something indicating an unexpected, sophisticated humor

Catches an adult’s subtle humor

Understands and uses puns and riddles

"Plays" with language

Develops humorous ideas to an extreme

Sensitivity-

Cares deeply; intense concern for human issues

Tries to take action to help someone in need

Expresses feelings through words or art

Explains others’ feelings

Displays a strong sense of fairness

Expresses high expectations of self and others

Seems to overreact at times

Accelerated Learning-

Learns new things quickly with minimum practice

Uses multiple characteristics when discussing items

Reads passages at an advanced, fluent reading level for the age-level expectations

Explains the meaning of what has been read

Demonstrates an unexpected mastery of math or science concepts

Uses a dictionary, encyclopedia, map, atlas, or computer to gain advanced information

Creates products which seem advanced for the age-level expectations

It then had an area for any additional info we felt they should know.

Ds2, while very smart and catches on to things quickly, did not make it into the high ability class. Dd did make it in.

mommy053008
by Maria on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM
My kids aren't considered gifted I don't think.
bellasmom32510
by Bronze Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Being gifted is determined by an evaluation. There are several parts of the evaluation so there is no specific definition but there are indicators and qualifications.

I have a child who is in 8th grade, she is in honor society, and honors classes however she is not gifted.
lancet98
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM
5 moms liked this

When I was young the teacher told my mother I was 'gifted'.

Later on I asked what that means.

She glared at me and said, 'It's roughly synonymous with 'annoying''.

So there you go.

debramommyof4
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM
I would send you to this site to help you http://www.davidsongifted.org/default.aspx
mickstinator
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM
I was "gifted."

I remember academic knowledge well, I test very well, and I have a large vocabulary. That was the obvious difference between me and my peers in school. I just have a very analytical mind.

I also had that pesky problem of giving up more easily than other kids when things got tough bc I was so used to not having to try too hard to understand. ; )
MsLogansMommy
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting mickstinator: I was "gifted."

I remember academic knowledge well, I test very well, and I have a large vocabulary. That was the obvious difference between me and my peers in school. I just have a very analytical mind.

I also had that pesky problem of giving up more easily than other kids when things got tough bc I was so used to not having to try too hard to understand. ; )

Your description fit me exactly when I was in elementary school except my reasoning on giving up or what I would tell myself is I would rather quit then fail because then it was within my control. As an adult I see the error in that reasoning and I am now able to allow things to happen that are out of my control. My dd does not share my love of school. She is more like her father a social butterfly. She always has to be center of attention and entertaining while as a child I was perfectly content with my head in a book.
MsLogansMommy
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Quoting debramommyof4: I would send you to this site to help you http://www.davidsongifted.org/default.aspx

My question was really more for the moms who think they have gifted children
Although my dd has many unique and special qualities she is not gifted. She actually struggles with academics.
debramommyof4
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM
I am pretty sure my two oldest are gifted but I would never say that for sure without them being tested. They show several personality traits and learn at a fast pace.

I do talk to people on gifted boards because sometimes their insight is what works best. But I do not worry about it because I homeschool and my kids get an individual education any way.

Quoting MsLogansMommy: Quoting debramommyof4: I would send you to this site to help you http://www.davidsongifted.org/default.aspx

My question was really more for the moms who think they have gifted children
Although my dd has many unique and special qualities she is not gifted. She actually struggles with academics.
SahmTam
by Tammy on Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I'm not sure that there is one set definition. From what I've seen on here, different schools have different requirements. I can only tell you how our school determines giftedness from my youngest son having gone through the process and entering the gifted program.

He was given an initial test that let them know whether or not it was worth his continuing the process. After that we and his teacher were given questionnaires about him to fill out, then came another test, then an IQ test (our school requires an IQ of 130+), and then- the results.

My daughter does very well academically and tests advanced in all academic areas of her standardized testing, BUT has not been recommended for gifted testing. She is in high ability classes (as is my son), BUT that is not the same as gifted in our school.

Gifted classes are separate and ours don't focus on subjects at all- they teach and foster ways to think outside the box- creative problem-solving skills.

At any rate, I agree with the sentiment of your post- I think all kids have abilities to varying degrees in some area (my oldest son struggles MIGHTILY in school, but has a talent for all things mechanical.) I also think that no matter how extraordinary their raw talent in any area (academic, non-academic- whatever area...) if they have a bad attitude or aren't willing to work hard, raw talent is probably not going to take them far. Someone with more mediocre raw talent that is has a good attitude and puts in the effort can surpass them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN