Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE HELP!!! Advice on 7 year old girl.

Posted by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM
  • 35 Replies

I have 5 girls and she pushes me to walk away from her on a daily ,because I'm going to lose my cool..She is LAZY they all have chores same ones every morning her room , picking up under coughs , and sweeping her dad's office (small). EVERY morning it's a fight she screams and cries, it takes her like 3 hours to clean a small room. Her and her sister have been breaking things last straw was the solid wood rake. Now her and her 10 year old sister are earning the money to buy new ranks and they are staying grounded till the yard it raked ,my 10 year old just gets out there every morning and does it. Well today my oldest said I'm going out to do my job my 7 year old didn't want to go out she would rather stay grounded in bed. My oldest rakes the piles up my 7 year old loads the sled w leafs and takes them to burn pile. Well when they are working as a team my oldest rakes the leafs in to the sled. Well with her playing the I don't want to game. My oldest started doing piles. My 7 year old decided to go out ,but started screaming crying in the yard for my oldest to rake it in . But we told her the price for seating out was she puts leafs in sled on own she screams and throws a fit we spank her ( don't care if you don't agree) it was last straw. Anyway she just throws  fit about any work and spankings are not working.. what do I do...I'm at a loss.right now.

by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kellysp6637
by Bronze Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry, but it's very difficult to understand your post

mommy053008
by Maria on Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM
I'm also confused. Perhaps just take away stuff until she listens.
nicoal4
by Bronze Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Sorry really frustrated ,had to walk away and breath to calm down so I wrote that. Lol. She throws a fit every time she has to do chores or clean. I mean SCREAMING, crying . I'm at a loss.

nicoal4
by Bronze Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Replied above.

Quoting mommy053008: I'm also confused. Perhaps just take away stuff until she listens.

mommy053008
by Maria on Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Honestly I would just send her to her room until she was done. A few days or heck hours in there alone and she will learn. I had to do that with my 5 yr old. It sucks and I hate doing it but it is the only thing that works.

Quoting nicoal4:

Replied above.

Quoting mommy053008: I'm also confused. Perhaps just take away stuff until she listens.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM

If you want to do XXXXX, then you must get your chores done first.  If you scream, whine, and complain, then you won't get to do XXXXX and you will also be grounded from XXXXXX.  By 7 years old, she should be able to understand that her actions have consequences.

nicoal4
by Bronze Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM

This is where it gets so frustrating. I did that and hours turn to a day and then days because she won't budge. I mean won't change ...She will carry it out forever.. But keep coming out crying about it ,so she gets spanked that doesn't change it...

Quoting mommy053008: Honestly I would just send her to her room until she was done. A few days or heck hours in there alone and she will learn. I had to do that with my 5 yr old. It sucks and I hate doing it but it is the only thing that works.

Quoting nicoal4:

Replied above.

nicoal4
by Bronze Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:20 PM

And this is where I have to walk away, I do that I give her a break have her try again ,more screaming and crying I move on to grounding for a few hours try again move on to a day try again nothing. Then spank still nothing she won't budge.

Quoting steelcrazy:

If you want to do XXXXX, then you must get your chores done first.  If you scream, whine, and complain, then you won't get to do XXXXX and you will also be grounded from XXXXXX.  By 7 years old, she should be able to understand that her actions have consequences.

mommy053008
by Maria on Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM
My daughter is 5 and has only ever lasted an hr and most of the time doesn't argue maybe the occasional foot stomp but she's usually good about it. I'm not sure what to do I just wouldn't let her have TV or playtime til her chores are done.

Quoting nicoal4:

This is where it gets so frustrating. I did that and hours turn to a day and then days because she won't budge. I mean won't change ...She will carry it out forever.. But keep coming out crying about it ,so she gets spanked that doesn't change it...

Quoting mommy053008: Honestly I would just send her to her room until she was done. A few days or heck hours in there alone and she will learn. I had to do that with my 5 yr old. It sucks and I hate doing it but it is the only thing that works.

Quoting nicoal4:

Replied above.

StephanieSH
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:24 PM
5 moms liked this
Maybe she feels overwhelmed and needs help with her executive functioning skills. She might need more direction than just "pick up your room". Maybe it needs to be broken down into smaller tasks. Her crying fits could be from anxiety. I remember when I was little and my mom wanted me to clean my room I would get really overwhelmed and then sit there and do nothing or get distracted by a toy or a book. I'm still not good at starting large tasks that seem insurmountable bc I'm not very organized
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)