Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

7yo and wanting to know how babies are made

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM
  • 15 Replies
My 7yr old has been weird about me kissing my partner than told my mum that she thinks im getting fat because I kiss and thats how you manke babies. I dont know how to do the birds and the bee talk
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this

There is a great book from American Girl that is just right for a 7yo, The Care and Keeping of You. Read it with her and answer questions honestly.

want10more
by New Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:19 AM

are you a christian? i am. and i told my lil uns that when 2 people fall in love, God sometimes puts a baby in the mommy's belly. but ask her what she thinks/or thinks she knows. and then just tell her the truth. if you don't, she'll go to her pals and heavens knows what they'll tell her! my oldest kids now are 17 n 15, and they know they can ask me anything....

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:41 AM
Bump
mommy053008
by Maria on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
My 5 yr old asked about it not long ago. I said when you find the right person, fall in love and get married you and your husband do a special dance and a baby is made. Seemed to do the trick.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM
If she is old enough to ask the question, then she is old enough to get an honest answer. Also think about how silly you will look when she eventually learns the truth. Being honest from the beginning lays the ground work for her to come to you with these types of questions instead of her friends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlightlyPerfect
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 9:26 AM

My daughter is 5, and I've told her we decided to have her. When people fall in love and get married, they then decide whether to have a baby. She's never asked how that happens. Yet.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM
My 5 year year old has been wondering too. I have no idea how to begin to tell her.
xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM
2 moms liked this

I would just say kissing doesn't make babies and leave it at that if she doesn't ask how you do make babies. I gave DS a very technical (but not entirely thorough) explanation when he asked how they're made. I told him women make eggs and men make sperm, and those combine to form a zygote. Then I explained how a zygote grows into an embryo, which becomes a fetus, all while being kept safe in mama's uterus until it's ready to be born. By the time I was done explaining everything from fertilization to birth, he didn't even think to ask how the sperm and the egg meet to begin with. I basically flooded him with enough information to satisfy his curiousity and ensure that if he was given bogus information by anyone else he would know enough about it to realize it was wrong, without venturing onto the sex topic itself. He also knows he's free to ask me questions and I'll answer them honestly, so I'm waiting for him to address it; I don't care to offer that information before he feels ready to know it.

ambcortez
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I showed mine a YouTube video of fertilization, but didn't go into erotic details about sex. I just told him that boys have sperm and girls have eggs. There are also baby development videos and birth. Some birth ones are very graphic, but I found one on baby center that is more comfortable for his age.

SeanandNoahsmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM

You recommended a book that I then bought," It's Not The Stork" and I think it is really good. ( this has been a couple years ago) It is for ages 4-7, but I found it mature for my Kindergartner, just right for 1st grader.

Quoting steelcrazy: If she is old enough to ask the question, then she is old enough to get an honest answer. Also think about how silly you will look when she eventually learns the truth. Being honest from the beginning lays the ground work for her to come to you with these types of questions instead of her friends.

Dawn
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)