Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

OT-Knitting

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM
  • 19 Replies

I know how to crochet and have been wanting to learn to knit.  My aunt gave my daughter some needles and an I can Knit book with step by step to teach her.  So, I decided to try it out.  I can't for the life of me do it.  I went on youtube and found a video which helped me a little but I can't get past casting on.  I'm usually the hands on type so maybe having an actual person show me will help.

family in the van   Mom of four

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:19 AM

My sister taught me how to knit. She learned from a yarn store. If you have one in your area, the staff there might be able to help teach you. Personally, I think it's easier the crocheting.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Good luck.  My mom taught her other grand daughter, dd's cousin.  I wanted to learn cross stitching but she never had the time to teach me how to change the colors easily.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Haha..I am no help...

I started a scarf ...probably 4-5 years ago and it is about 3/4 done.
mommy053008
by Maria on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:58 AM
I can't do it either. :/
TatyBear
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:02 AM
I just taught myself but only with sashay yarn so far. Lol my 11 yr old knits with wool, she learnt at school.in knitting club. So she is supposed to teach me how to cast on with wool. And I know how to do the rest.

But YouTube is hard cause everyone has a different way of casting on and off and depends on what you are making depends on how you knit. Lol
jaytee
by Jen on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Those videos never help me. I need someone sitting beside me, showing me how to do something.

Good luck!!
JayTee80
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I have been knitting for years and taught myself mostly through books and written instructions with pictures.   Sometimes it takes reading instructions written a few different ways before I really understood. I could never learn knitting from videos.  It just didn't work for me.    Once you get the hand of the basic cast on, knit, and purl, everything will start to come pretty easily.  The other tough part is  just getting comfortable with the needles and getting your tension even.  It is a lot of fun and very relaxing once you get the hang of it. 

almburr
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM
I got so frustrated when I started! Really frustrated the f-bomb was flying as were the tears. But it just clicked. I had to relax. I was making my cast to tight and I was holding the needles with a death grip.

I will look up the YouTube video I used to get me through.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I've never heard of working more than one color at a time with cross stitch.  I've been cross stitching for over 35 years, my grandmother taught me and I've worked with quite a few different groups of women doing cross stitch.  All of them have always worked one color at a time and then went on to another color for that area, and another.  Slowly adding in the various colors one at a time.  As far as changing colors, you do that the same way that you would the first color that you start out with, nothing hard about it at all.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Good luck.  My mom taught her other grand daughter, dd's cousin.  I wanted to learn cross stitching but she never had the time to teach me how to change the colors easily.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I can't even crochet. I wouldn't even know where to begin with knitting. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)