Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

OT/PIOG: Movies for Mommy?

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Max
  • 46 Replies

I have the week off and Netflix is calling my name. Any good movie recommendations?

I like scary movies. But creepy/thriller type horror, not gory slashers. 

I tend to prefer more offbeat movies. 

by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Right now, I've been watching Dexter on Netflix. I also like the Lost Girl series, and it also just came out with a new season.

If you really want to stay in front of the TV all week, you could try Dr Who. The first season is pretty bad, but oh boy, does the writing improve from there! I noticed that Neil Gaiman has helped write a lot of the better episodes. To be honest, I found the start of a couple of the Dr Who episodes to be suspenseful, almost boarder-line scary (like the Blink and Are You My Mummy ones). 

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I don't watch a ton of horror movies, but I like really good ones that aren't slashers too. So I'm interested to see where this list goes.

Month and months ago, hubby and I watched Stake Land, and it was a lot better than what I expected. It wasn't scary though, IMO, but it's classified as a horror because of the vampires in it.

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I saw The Awakening, and it was kind of boring. I stopped it a couple times, but eventually finished it.

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I have Bag of Bones in my queue. Has anyone seen that? Is it good?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I have the very last episode of Dexter sitting in my DVD player waiting for me. I just can't bring myself to watch it. I will miss him so much :(

My brother keeps telling me to try Dr. Who. I know I would like it and there's lots of seasons to watch. He could replace the hole left by my buddy Dexter. LOL

I love Neil Gaiman. 

Quoting Barabell:

Right now, I've been watching Dexter on Netflix. I also like the Lost Girl series, and it also just came out with a new season.

If you really want to stay in front of the TV all week, you could try Dr Who. The first season is pretty bad, but oh boy, does the writing improve from there! I noticed that Neil Gaiman has helped write a lot of the better episodes. To be honest, I found the start of a couple of the Dr Who episodes to be suspenseful, almost boarder-line scary (like the Blink and Are You My Mummy ones). 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Quoting Barabell:

I saw The Awakening, and it was kind of boring. I stopped it a couple times, but eventually finished it.

Netflix keeps telling me I would like that one but it does a little slow. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Quoting Barabell:

I don't watch a ton of horror movies, but I like really good ones that aren't slashers too. So I'm interested to see where this list goes.

Month and months ago, hubby and I watched Stake Land, and it was a lot better than what I expected. It wasn't scary though, IMO, but it's classified as a horror because of the vampires in it.

That one is on Sci Fi channel all the time. I really like it. I love post apocalypse stuff. 

Have you seen The Road? 

mommy053008
by Maria on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM
No idea I don't watch horror movies. But that sounds like a nice week off to me :-)
Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting Barabell:

That one is on Sci Fi channel all the time. I really like it. I love post apocalypse stuff. 

Have you seen The Road? 

No cable here, so I didn't know SyFy picked up Stake Land. I know they picked up Lost Girl and Continuum from Canada (both shows I discovered through Netflix), and I know they made a US version of Being Human (which I think sucks compared to the UK Being Human). 

I haven't seen The Road. But I just added it to my instant queue. 

If you love the post-apocalyptic genre, I'm surprised you don't watch anime. There are a lot of post-apocalyptic animes. There are some pretty decent horror animes too. I prefer the darker anime. The two Vampire Hunter D movies and Ninja Scroll are three anime movies that got me hooked.

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting Barabell:

Netflix keeps telling me I would like that one but it does a little slow. 

It is very slow. I'm not even sure why I finished it....LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)