Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GameFly....anyone here use it or know anything about it?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:52 PM
  • 20 Replies

My 8 year old wants to try it, but I know nothing other than what I read on their website. It seems like a good deal to be able to rent or "borrow" games (if you sign up for their annual membership) and then return them when you're done. You download them remotely to your game system and play them then return them when you're done. 

Anyone know anything about this?

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:54 PM

My 8 year old is interested as well.

cjsbmom
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Hopefully someone here will know something about it or use it, then we can both figure out if we want to let our kids do it. 

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

My 8 year old is interested as well.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Sorry, I'm no help at all.  Never even heard of it before this post.

mommy053008
by Maria on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM
I've heard of it but never participated
DACIA79
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Its like Netflix but for video games everyone I know that has tried it likes it. I prefer to just buy used games but that's because my kids play the demos to test the game out for free.

The good news is you get one month for free so its definitely worth trying out.
cjsbmom
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Thanks!

My only concern is if you don't rent at least 4 different games per month, you're really wasting a lot of money on the monthly membership. Maybe I'll sign up for a month free and see how it goes.

Quoting DACIA79: Its like Netflix but for video games everyone I know that has tried it likes it. I prefer to just buy used games but that's because my kids play the demos to test the game out for free.

The good news is you get one month for free so its definitely worth trying out.

soymujer
by Mikki on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Sorry, none of my gamers are interested.

family in the van   Mom of four

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:54 PM
We've had a membership for years. We get 1 game in the mail at a time, it's only $16/month. We usually get 2-4 games a month, depending on what they are.
vermontmoms
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Same here...my sons have a membership it was good b/c it allowed us to try a lot of games that they wanted to buy. After renting they realized some games were not like the commercial and were glad it was just a rental. Now we are down to only getting 2 games a month so I may stop it after a year of having an acct.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole: We've had a membership for years. We get 1 game in the mail at a time, it's only $16/month. We usually get 2-4 games a month, depending on what they are.
cjsbmom
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Thanks ladies. Sounds like the key is to just make sure you rent more than 2 a month in order to get your money's worth out of the membership. We don't have any place to rent games around here anymore, so it's buy them or not have them at all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)