Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daughter wants a dog--I don't--help?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:38 PM
  • 20 Replies

My almost 8 year old daughter wants a dog. You know how that is. I have researched it and thought about it and don't believe it is a good idea. How can I explain this to her without just saying no? Any ideas?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell her why it wouldn't be a good idea at this point in time.  I believe in being honest with them, but ultimately you are the parent and it is up to you.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Both of my girls want a dog....not happening. 

I told them flat out that it was not going to happen. I asked them if they like to travel like we do..they said yes...oh, well it won't happen if we have a dog...we have 2 cats, and all we have to do is leave ample food/water/litter boxes and they are good for 1-2 weeks...can't do that with a dog. 

I'm allergic to dogs and cats and get shots for it already..if we added a dog to the cats we have it would kill my allergies..not happening. 

I'm the mother, they are the children. DH and I make the decisions and our answer is no. End of story. Why do you have to sugarcoat it? Tell her it is not a good idea for the family and let that be the final answer. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Roo1234
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:45 PM
If you don't think it I'd a good idea,simply explain why.

We have a dog and she adds a great deal to our family. One of our sons really prefers cats, but there is no way o would get a car because dad is allergic and I personal don't like them. I'm fortunate that I can blame it is dad's allergies, but I still wouldn't have a problem saying no and telling him that he can look forward to getting one when heis aadult with his own hinge
Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this. My son wants a dog too, but we do not have enough time for one. I tell him that is the reason why, and I explain how it would not be fair to an animal if we cannot give it all the care it needs.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Tell her why it wouldn't be a good idea at this point in time.  I believe in being honest with them, but ultimately you are the parent and it is up to you.

MommaTurbo
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I cant imagine my kids growing up without our dogs! My oldest (7yo) is responsible for feeding them.

KenneMaw
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:00 PM

She needs to understand that a dog is a BIG responsibility and it costs alot of money.    Maybe she could get a job as a dog walker for some neighbors or do some volunteer work with a dog rescue group to get her puppy fix.

KenneMaw
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Could you start with something small like a guinea pig, hamster or bird?  I was never a bird person, but we have a cocktiel that is very sweet :-)

we-r-up-to-4
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:06 PM
I was going to suggest this as well. I think its a terrific idea

Quoting KenneMaw:

She needs to understand that a dog is a BIG responsibility and it costs alot of money.    Maybe she could get a job as a dog walker for some neighbors or do some volunteer work with a dog rescue group to get her puppy fix.

ambcortez
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Just explain the cons to having a pet. Maybe that they take a lot of responsibility. If you don't want one, don't feel bad about expressing why. 

soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:02 PM

When my kids wanted a dog years ago, I told them no and told them the reason why was because we couldn't afford one.  I did say that we could get one when we bought a house.  At that point of time, it wasn't looking like it was going to be until after the kids moved out!  Well, a year and a half ago, we didn't own the house but we could afford one financially so we got a dog.  I'm glad we did.  Now, we just added another dog to our family.

I think having dogs adds to the family.  You have someone to talk to that won't blab to anyone so when they are having a bad day, they can just pet and cuddle and vent to the dogs.  It's your family and it's your decision.  Just explain to her why.

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)