Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Learning to read!

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2007 at 7:25 PM
  • 8 Replies
Our oldest son is five and will start K in the fall. He has shown an interest in reading for a while now but now I think he is ready to learn. Where do I start? My son has been rhyming words and doing math in his head for some time. This evening my hubby explained how knowing simple words like at and it can help you create othe words. Our son caught right on...he was saying sat and spelling it.  ANy suggestions? We have Hop on Pop by Dr Suess I thought it would be a good book cause it is rhyming?? Any guidance would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Jenni

by on Feb. 22, 2007 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mom2curtyNsammi
by on Feb. 22, 2007 at 7:56 PM
Sight words. a,the,is,to,and,we,like,it,on,or,go. those are what I can remember that my son has done in K. Maybe get him the leapfrog video that has the sounds of the letters. I can't think of what it is called. If you want to get him books just go with something for beginner readers. If you can find someone you know with kids already in school ask them if you can see their scholastic book order. Or you can go to their website. and order books from there. They are really cheap if you order them through the school.

Hope that helps.
mom2curtyNsammi
by on Feb. 22, 2007 at 8:06 PM
I forgot to add I would have him writing these down so he learns them better. I have my son write his words 10 times just to help him remember them better.
bits78
by on Feb. 22, 2007 at 8:49 PM
Go to the library and get the first readers. Ask the librarian to assist you.  These books will usually have one or two words per page and only a few pages and they work upwards for more advanced readers.  The words usually make sentences and usually try and incorporate sight words.  You read a page and then have him try a page with your help.
kbh2
by on Feb. 22, 2007 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

first, make sure he can recognize every letter and the sounds they make.  then pull up "dolche list" (some teachers call them sight words) on the internet.  these are lists of simple words that are used to introduce reading. 

both my children were introduced to "sight" words when they were in pre-k and were reading before leaving pre-k.  my son is in 3rd grade and reads on a 7th grade level.  my daughter is in the 1st grade and reads on a 3rd grade level.  we read all the time!!

rljck2005
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:35 PM

im worried about my child ready she isnt reading that well and shes going into 2nd grade

mommynightowl
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM
My daughter is 5 and just finished pre-school. I saw signs she would pretend to read, and write out "full sentences" (just a bunch of random letters she said meant something) and would ask me what words were.

First she already knew her letters and the sounds they make. (repetition and leap frog letter factory)

I've been teaching her sight words (the kindergarten dolch list) and word families, -at, -an, -it etc etc. I've been using the ready2read program I found by moffattigirls. It costs money but I didn't know how to set up everything with her and it working so I continue to get them. Each week she has 5 new sight words and 2 new word families. The kit comes with worksheets, hands on learning etc and costs $5 a unit or less of you buy more at a time.

You by no means have to but anything though. Just look up sight words and word families. Check out pinterest there are a ton of ideas on how to teach them
mommynightowl
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Quoting rljck2005:

im worried about my child ready she isnt reading that well and shes going into 2nd grade

I would work more on their love of reading. Is there a summer reading program at your library to get them excited about reading this summer? Have you tried showing them different authors? My kids love Mo Willems.

And also do they see you reading? I am a big book nerd so I think that played a role in my kids being excited to learn to read and asking to be taught.
PinkButterfly66
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Dr. Suess is really good.  Also, you can write the root words and show him how other words are made by adding letters to them.  Take him to the library for books to read. Richard Scary books are fun too.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)