Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

TV in the kids bedrooms.

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:34 AM
  • 124 Replies
I'm just curious how many parents allow there kids to have a bedroom TV. I'm guilty of it. My oldest has a 32 flat screen and the younger ones have 24 inch flat screens. They have basic cable no DVR or HD boxes but they do have Blue Ray players. My husband wouldn't have it any other way. He grew up spoiled like that.
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:51 AM
9 moms liked this
It isn't a matter of being spoiled, it's unhealthy. A TV in the playroom is one thing, but they don't belong in anyone's bedroom - whether child or adult. Even if there are strict rules surrounding it, associating the bedroom - and especially the bed, where one might be inclined to lounge whle watching tv - with more than sleep can lead to difficulty falling asleep. It should be avoided whenever possible IMO.
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:53 AM
1 mom liked this
No way. It's not healthy and we encourage screen free time in our home.
lenashark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:55 AM
3 moms liked this

We don't allow tvs in the bedroom. It's not healthy to sleep with the tv on and if they are going to watch it, they can be out in the sitting room, not alone starring at a screen.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 2:16 AM
2 moms liked this

We have one and it is not turned on that much unless one of us are sick.  We are blessed that dd loves to read or play games with us.  We have dvds only for bedroom which can either be educational or just for fun viewing.

tinybluemoon
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:23 AM

My oldest daughter does, because there is such an age gap between her and her siblings she doesn't enjoy watching what they watch on the kids TV. And my youngest son does because he spends a lot of time in bed because he is so sick.

My others won't get their own TV's into they are teenagers.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:31 AM
I won't allow TVs in their rooms until they're teens...15ish. DS is 13 and dod get a TV for Christmas. He can only play video games on it, it's not hooked up to cable and won't be. We only have 2 TVs so sometimes if he wanted to play a game, the only other TV was in my room so we'd go up. I think this will solve that issue. Of course if we had gotten him a mini fridge too, he'd probably never leave his room and there would be peace in our house once again. LOL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:06 AM
2 moms liked this

No, my children do not have tvs in their bedrooms.  We are not fans of that for many reasons and don't consider those who do to be "spoiled like that".  As far as tvs go, we have five (5) of them in our house.  All of which are larger than 32" and all of which are flat screen with HD, DVR, and all that jazz.  I'm not sure who you are trying to impress with your post, but I'd suggest that you grow up and move on.

cindilou13
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Ours do not have them in their bedrooms for a few reasons.  I don't want them just hanging out in the bedrooms watching TV all the time.  I want them doing both more active things at least sometimes and being social with the family. I want to be able to monitor what they watch. And I don't want them ever to get in the habit of falling asleep while watching TV or feeling like they just have to watch it before bed or something.

We have a tv in the playroom, finished basement, living room, and also in our bedroom....yeah yeah some say hypocritical-but we're the adults they are the kids, and it works best for us in there for various reasons. And we can regulate our tv watching ourselves thanks very much lol. 

To each their own though, I don't really care what others do if it works for them, but this is one thing I've put my put down with MIL on (she wanted to buy them each one for their rooms). 

mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:33 AM

No TVs in the kids room. We used to have one 42 inch TV that I was fine with hubby got us a 55 inch on black friday. So we have that and put the 42 inch in the girls playroom. They still don't use it often.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lisette1528
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:38 AM

My son has one in his room.  I am not a fan, and as soon as we move, it's not going back in.  The only reason its in there now is because he had one before he and my husband moved in.  Hubby insisted and he's my step son.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN