Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Tell me how horrible your winter is!

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Max
  • 49 Replies

Growing up in NJ I enjoyed ice skating and playing in the snow during winter. 

I also fondly remember the thrill of listening to the radio in the morning while they listed off all the closed schools. A snow day was like a free day off.

Raising my kids in FL they are missing out on all that. It makes me kind of sad. 

So please remind all of the terrible things about winter so I won't feel bad about it. 

thanks!

by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:14 PM
I grew up in (and still live in) PA. I loved snow days as a kid and so do my kids (though DS is old enough to realize too many means a longer school year). We've had a few snow days but overall the winter hasn't been bad. It's almost 60 today!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:42 PM
We are in Tn/ga (she goes to a Tn school we technically live in ga) its 60 here today. I know what you mean abt snow days though...although I hate snow.
huskermom98
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Ice...how about that?  Snow is ok/tolerable, but ice...not so much!

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM
I'm in western Washington. We get hard frost, cold rain and lots of wind. I love snow, but we only get a good snow every few years
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Having a snow day = fun!

Having a day off due to wind chills at -40* = not fun!

We haven't had a snow day yet, just a too cold to go out day.  It's not fun when it's just too cold to go out.  It's not fun when the wind is high enough that its blowing the snow around & making the roads not-so-fun to drive on & you can't go do fun stuff.  We had plans to go to the children's musuem an hour away over Christmas break but had to cancel those plans due to the wind making the roads slippery (we probably could have gone if we had to do something, but you don't drive if its just a fun activity).

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:46 PM

I should add that we don't listen to the radio to find out school is closed much.  I find out from a website the radio station maintains or from email/fb. The radio does announce it, we just don't have to listen anymore. I had a similar thought, it was fun growing up to listen to the radio.  Our school was in the W's, so we would listen for other schools in our conference to see if we were likely closed or delayed. The anticipation was part of the fun. :)  I will have to turn on the radio so my boys can have the fun of listening sometime.

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Driving in the snow or ice SUCKS. It takes you longer to get where you are going, and is nerve racking.

Having negative wind chills hit your face as you walk outside for any amount of time feels awful. You cannot go anywhere without layering yourself up.

The heat is constantly kicking on, making for higher gas bill.

Cars look a mess for they are covered in salt from the roads. The roads buckle. The fun outdoor places you enjoy during the summer - AMUSEMENT PARKS, POOLS, PLAYGROUNDS, ETC aren't enjoyed for the winter. ;)

xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:59 PM
This winter is weird. It's very mild most of the time, then suddenly severe for a short time. We get a ton of snow dumped on us at once, then it melts and creates one hell of a mess, and eventually we get another huge load of snow. I'm tired of digging the car out and even more tired of getting mired in slush.
HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 2:01 PM

the flu (it sucks) don't forget about how all your car problems arise when its cold.  every winter is when we find out what is wrong with our car, this year, an 02 sencor and a throttle sensor.

Sillieguze
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 3:36 PM

We were supposed to go back to school this past Monday, the 6th, but we got 10 inches of snow on Sunday.  We ended up being off Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  The roads were finally clear Wednesday afternoon.  We thought we were going to go back on Thursday, but we got another inch of snow and some sleet/freezing rain over night, so they ended up calling off school on Thursday too.  We were all a little stir crazy after being home together for so many days.  I'm done with winter!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN