Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Possibly repeating Kindergarten?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:25 PM
  • 33 Replies

My youngest should have had a 3rd year of preschool this year but we decided to go ahead and send him to Kindergarten (it's all day, very academic). He was 5 in May and is developmentally young. We felt like we couldn't afford the $600/mo for Pre-K Plus this year. Anyway, at my conference in November his teacher said there's a chance he may need to repeat Kindergarten. She really wasn't sure, though. He's fine socially but academically he's nowhere near reading and also struggles a bit in math. My older boys are good students so I have to have faith that he'll catch up. I'd just feel badly if he does have to repeat :( How would I explain it to him? He thinks he's going to 1st grade next year...

by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:27 PM
3 moms liked this
Imo it would be easier on him to repeat now and get a stronger foundation than continue on to more difficult things without mastering what he should know already.
mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:28 PM
I'd say let him repeat my daughter has two repeaters this year and they are fine with it.
dawncs
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I know this is a difficult situation in life to face. You need to remind him that everyone learns at their own pace, and some need some extra help or time to master their skills.

cjsbmom
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:35 PM

What kind of reading and math is he doing? You said this is a very academic all-day program, so I am concerned that maybe it's too much for kindergarteners. Call me crazy, but aside from learning the basics, I do not think kindergarten is the appropriate grade level to be thrusting certain levels of reading and math on a child. 

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Sorry to hear.  Can you get him a tutor?  How about Kumon?  Just until he is up to grade level.  There are still many months until first grade.  

ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:36 PM

at least they expect him to be able to read. my daughter school didnt. so when we had her meeting with the teacher after the first grade card this year (she is in first grade) her reading level was only at .9 and the teacher said that the normal palce to be at that point in the year was 1.2 . we have worked with her since preschool on reading and all summer between grades also every weekend but she is still behind because they didn t work on  it enough in kindergarden at school and did not need to know how to read to pass on to first. 

MommyBug1120
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM
3 moms liked this

Having been a kindergarten teacher for several years, I would 1. hope that the teacher was a little more certain about her request for repeat.  2. Ask for specific things that he is struggling with. This will help you come up with ways to work on these skills at home.  Make sure that learning at home is presented in a fun way, like through games.  3. Start talking to your son now about possible changes to the plan for next year.  While repeating at Kindergarten is much better than having to repeat at a later grade, or to continue struggling, it is not something you want to spring on me.  Explain to him that some people get to do Kindergarten two times.  4. Request a different teacher for the next year if you do decide to repeat.  That way your son will be moving to another class like everyone else.  It will be less of a stigma on him.

5. Most importantly do not feel bad if your son does need to repeat kindergarten.  The best thing to do is set him up for success. Another year to work on necessary skills will only help him in the long run.  And every kid is different, so try not to compare him to your other children, as hard as that can be.  

I know you will make the best decision for your son.

amyasmommy2005
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM

look my daughter may have to repeat 2nd grade. she just isn't getting the work. i am sad but i rather her get the work and than move on then continue to struggle.

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM

November is awfully early in the year to be telling parents that their kids may have to repeat. It sounds like she gave up too soon. Maybe things will look different later in the spring.

momwriter
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I agree with you. His writing and math skills have improved just recently. Hoping for more improvement...

Quoting Kathy489:

November is awfully early in the year to be telling parents that their kids may have to repeat. It sounds like she gave up too soon. Maybe things will look different later in the spring.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)