Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What did I get myself in to?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:42 AM
  • 35 Replies

I get emails from the school librarian about once or twice a month asking for help. I volunteered a LOT last year and the year before and I'm usually the first person she goes to for help. I've told her the past few times I'd help but when the day came something either came up or I just simply forgot so I felt guilty and volunteered for today. I have to take my 3 month old who has been sleeping almost all morning, too so I know that will be fun.

I need to learn to not be so nice. I have volunteering and being so good at it :P I just want to sleep :/

Do you volunteer at your kids' school?

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I work full time so I don't volunteer on a regular basis but my mom does.

we-r-up-to-4
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM
I did last year but not this year. Dh watched ydd and odd went to daycare (her bio dad would have had a fit if he knew I left her alone with someone he didn't approve and he refuses to approve of any of my family/friends), this year daycare isn't an option so I stay home with the younger two.
bcauseimthemom
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:51 AM

By volunteering and then forgetting is not being too nice.  You need to learn the word no.  Yes, we do volunteer in class for two of our four children.  The other two are one is in college and the other is in high school.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:25 AM
I do all of the box tops for our Charter school.

DD goes to a homeachool charter so only goes to the actual Learning Center on Mondays. I try to not be there as much as possible.

Today they are having a Greek festival and mini-Olympics and asked for volunteers so I will be there :)
StephanieSH
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM
I volunteer at my daughter's school in the library once a month, I helped set up the book fair and I go to class as needed. When my son was younger I was an art docent for his class but he's in middle school now and they don't need as many volunteers. We wee never allowed to being siblings though so when my younger one was a baby I never volunteered for my older one
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM
I used to.

Our new school.is very I'll managed. With a very nasty pto

So this year I have not.
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I've always been quick to volunteer, but it can be too much. I've learned to say "no" to most and "yes" to the most important

godsgirl26
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Yes, I volunteer 2x a week. My kids love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherylmoore
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM
I'm the Box Top Queen at DS school. Im also on the membership committee with the pto and i help out when i can. I was asked this morning to come next week and help distrbute candy bars for the fundraiser. I also need to learn to say no. My problem is i spend so much Time at the school that my housework gets neglected. I also work full time so its a lot but DS is worth it. l
Beautifulmom513
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I would love to volunteer. but I have a 13 month old. and they don't let you volunteer when you have babies and small children with you. its just too much of a distraction. and I agree. I would spend more time taking care of my daughter and chasing after her than getting any work done. before I had her tho, I volunteered all time. several times a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN