Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5th Birthday questions

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:17 AM
  • 19 Replies

simple frownSo my daughter is turning 5 and we feel that it's a very big deal and a milestone because she's in prek now. We're having a party at a hall, and she chose a Frozen theme from Disney. She wants to dress up as Anna and I'm making an Elsa costume for myself to surprise her at her party. I'm a firm believer in never paying someone else for what you can do yourself, in this case, not hiring an overpriced princess lol. Anyways, DD is an only child without any cousins even etc so I wanted her to have a big party this year.  We're building props for photos, an ice palace type setup, and since we own Minnie and Mickey costumes already, they will be there as well. DD is so excited!! 

I'm really worried she won't get the turnout she's hoping for though  ....it would break my heart if none of the kids showed up. She would have fun no matter what with family who will be there, but I just want her to have an amazing day....so I'm worried it won't be everything it should. Her school has a " invite all or none" policy so I invited all 16 kids (here's to hoping at least a couple show up!)..... unfortunately, she hasn't received one invitation yet this year which makes me wonder if we're going over the top on this party? lol if the parents bring their kids I'm afraid they'll think we're show offs when we're just creative people lol.... who knew this birthday

party stuff would get so complicated?? I'm stressing myself out though I know it's unecessary ...

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:52 AM

You invited them, you can't make them show up. But it does seem like you are building it up way too much, especially in your own mind. I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment more so than your daughter.

I hope it all goes well though. But I really think your daughter will be great regardless. I'm not so sure about you though. Lol

AJsMom81507
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:55 AM

i am not really sure where the "over the top" part is coming in.

around me, birthday parties are at bounce places, darling and diva places/princess sports, game places.

does she even talk or see these children outside of pre-k?

out of the 23 children i invited last year from my DDs camp 10 came.  which i didnt care, because all in all we had a total of 39 children (friends - 4 kids were family)

people arent going to care where you have it, and certainly wont think "over the top" with make it yourself decorations (unless you do set designs for a living)

have a fun birthday party for her, and stop the stressing

mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:56 AM
I am sure some will show up. Stop stressing and have fun.
cupcake_mom
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:03 AM
Don't stress yourself. Some will show some won't.
I think its pretty stupid that your school forces you to invite everyone in the class! Not all the kids are friends I'm sure. I'm glad my kids school doesn't do that, the teacher puts the invites for thethe kids that are invited in their take home folder so no one even knows. Parties are not allowed to be talked about at school
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:38 AM
Dont stress just have fun. My DD just had her 5 th birthday this past Saturday and in the end only one of friends showed up but she didnt care. It meant that friend was there for her and the two of them had a blast.
flowrsgalore
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Try to just keep in mind this is a 5 year old birthday party, it'll be ok. You can pull this off. Who shows & who doesn't is out of your control. Have fun with the ones who do come. Your daughter doesn't need to know you are stressing. Deep breath it's gonna be fine. You'll look back at pics & be happy you did this for her.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

This. Way too much thought/anticipation/pressure is being put on a five year old's party.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

You invited them, you can't make them show up. But it does seem like you are building it up way too much, especially in your own mind. I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment more so than your daughter.

I hope it all goes well though. But I really think your daughter will be great regardless. I'm not so sure about you though. Lol

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
That is a lot...I guess I don't see five as a milestone birthday. Ds invited all of his classmates this year for his party. I had no RSVP until 8 pm the night before, and then had six more RSVP the morning of (out of 18 invited). My point? Don't expect everyone to come, and don't expect timely RSVPs.
mickstinator
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:17 AM

i've been to a few incredibly intricate parties for kids that age. i went to a 5th birthday party last year where the mom had a whole photo area set up to take each child's picture like they were flying with the clouds, then she printed it in this customized newspaper-esque thank you card that listed all the kids' names as the super heroes who saved the day. there were only about 8 kids there. it was a total blast. 

i could never plan a party with that much detail, but i sure wasn't hating on her for doing it! i was really impressed! : ) i'm sure everyone at your daughter's party will have a wonderful time. and as far as the whole fear of no one showing - you're not alone on that one. i think every single person throwing a party has that fear at least a little. 

StephanieSH
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I have stressed about kids not showing up to every one of my kids' birthday parties and it has never happened.  I can't help stressing.  It's my nature but it has all been for naught.  My kids are 11 and 8.  At 5 years old, even if just a few friends show up she will have fun if you don't make a big deal about it.  I have found that a lot of the stress about these things is my own and I try not to project it onto my kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)