Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Planning to move out of state- from OH to TN.

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM
  • 5 Replies

Has anyone done this with two kids in school? We are planning to move from Ohio to Tennesee. Kids are 13 (7th grade) and  almost 6 (kindergarten). 

I just dont know how to get started. Its not a move for a job or anything so theres no timeline. We just have always wanted to move south. Have vacationed there and just fell in love with it.

Hubby and I will both have to find new jobs but our fields are pretty good *nurse and auto mechanic*. 

Ive been looking at houses for two years now just to see whats out there and what areas we liked.

Any suggestions or links to anything would be much appreciated :)

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:48 PM
We moved across the country right before my son started kindergarten. I had a family member in the state we moved to, so she helped us a lot. I also used the greatschools.org website for helping to choose a school. I looked at city websites for statistics on crime and police reports to determine a neighborhood.
mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:12 PM
I live in TN what part of Tn you looking into?
NurseRapunzel
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Quoting mommy053008: I live in TN what part of Tn you looking into?

looking near knoxville area--- Farragut looked nice.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 1:13 PM

http://www.greatschools.org/

That site will let you check out schools and districts.

Speaking as someone whose family moved when I was halfway through 8th gr, I wouldn't put the move off much longer. Moves tend to be harder on teens than younger kids.

If you are going to move into a neighborhood w/ other kids the same age/similar ages as yours, maybe move during the summer so they can get to know each other before school starts. Even if they aren't in the same classes/grades, starting the school yr knowing someone on the bus and in the school in general can be reassuring.

mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 17, 2014 at 2:46 PM
We are in Chattanooga

Quoting NurseRapunzel:

Quoting mommy053008: I live in TN what part of Tn you looking into?

looking near knoxville area--- Farragut looked nice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)